Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
San Juan 21

Just soliciting some opinions...

I think I am pretty much decided about this boat. I posted what's below to a local group and got a few replies all positive, including invitations to come check one out, join a local club and these local (very nice) guys are filling up my inbox with links to some deals nearby that fit my budget. There are local guys who want to race and go crusing and have some family outings and whatnot. This is also true of a few other boats, but so far this model looks the most promising for me, my family and my budget. But I figured I would let the wider community take some pokes at the idea before I take the leap...

From the forum at NCSail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I want a San Juan 21
arbarnhart

Not right away, but hopefully within the next year or two. The reason for my post is to solicit opinions, pro and con. Here is my thinking...

The features on my wish list:

Trailerable with a reasonably "normal" vehicle.
Room for family of 6 (the kids are small right now, and we would rarely all be on at once, but every now and then)
Can be single handed
Reasonably stable and self righting if I get too crazy (and I do want to be able to get a little crazy sometimes)
Beachable
Cuddy cabin where a kid or two could nap and a camping potty could be kept/used. Bonus points if it will actually sleep adults for a weekend.
Fairly low cost (around $2K or less if possible)
Good for local lakes and sounds; not looking to do real blue water in this boat (maybe the outside route from Beaufort to Lookout at most)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
great boat we on an SJ24 and love it
Old 07-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Very good choice. Look at the Cal 21 as well. Very similar in many ways, including price.
Old 07-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Very good choice. Look at the Cal 21 as well. Very similar in many ways, including price.
Wow; it is similar. It might have a slight edge in the trailering department as it seems to be a little lighter. I found a page about the 21s claiming that whole class of boats was inspired by the Venture 21 and mentioned a few different 21s and some 22s that all are incredibly similar. Hmmm...
Old 07-22-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Yeah, and guess what lighter means?

You guessed it! Quicker and more agile. One of the most endearing features of the Cal 21 is that she'll get right up and going quickly, even in very light air. She carries a lot of sail for the size boat, coupled with an 1100 lb displacement, and you get the picture.

Only deficiency, imho, head-room or lack thereof.
Old 07-22-2007

I may be narrowing back down to the SJ 21 though. I do want to participate in races and regattas locally and so far, it is the only trailerable crusing racer in my budget range I have found a local group for.
Old 07-22-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I used to sailin a local club on Lk Washington as a teen with a few SJ21's. Nice boat overall. As far as what is better.....that question is only one you can answer. And you have answered one, which is that there is a local club that races them. If youwant to race 1D, then get an SJ21. I built a small pram as a teen, wish I would have built an ElToro vs the GlenL 8 ball, as there was an eltoro group to race in. Not that I did not have fun with my pram, but, the racing woul dhave made it more FUN!

So your reason to go with an SJ21 vs a C21 or equal, has as much merit as any other thing some have said about other 20-22' Trailer sailers.

Marty
Old 07-22-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

I'd be looking at the Santanas also.
Old 07-23-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
The SJ21 is my dream boat. Went with a Bucc18 for now; a little bit easier to trailer and launch. Love the SJ's heavy swing keel & that it is both fast and forgiving. Bet it's easier to single-hand than our Bucc.
Old 07-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
The SJ21 is my dream boat. Went with a Bucc18 for now; a little bit easier to trailer and launch. Love the SJ's heavy swing keel & that it is both fast and forgiving. Bet it's easier to single-hand than our Bucc.
I am sailing a Bucc this Saturday to take the kids out to watch some other kids race Optis. I sailed it once before (belongs to a nice guy in a local club) and was pretty impressed with how it handled. I had crew, but the boat I was on was set up pretty well for single handed sailing with the quick set/release jib cleats so you would just whip one free as you started the tack then pull and cleat the other as you came about. But if they needed fiddling with it would be a pain. It was just far enough away that you don't have a lot of leverage on the tiller.