Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2002

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
seek advice on offshore cruiser

Hi again,
The canal system requires you to remove the mast in Lake Onterio. you motor to Albany and then can sail south down the Hudson.
There is a fee, and a season''s pass is 75.00. The alternative is the St Lawrence Sea way which is quite a bit longer, or trucking the boat. The Hudson River, and NY harbor are wonderful. Marinas: they can help with masts at both ends, and inbetween there are places to stay, shop, fuel and so on. Motor yachts cruise the canal all the time, during the summer and it is quite an extensive system. there is a webb site for it. If you beat me to it, stop in Utica and I will meet you for lunch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2002

Brian Gass is on a distinguished road

Hello:

My family(wife,2 boys ages 7&3)are looking to liveaboard and cruise within the next year. We are currently "land dwellers" with
some previous sailing experience(before children). I would like recomendations on cruising catamarans---pre-owned. I have read
articles on Heavenly Twins, Catalacs & Prouts. What about other catamarans-Americat,
Endeavourcat,etc.? Any ideas? Our budget is
around $60,000--have to sell the house first! also, any thoughts on "cat-rigged" versus "sloop-rigged" catamarans?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2002

sailortaylor is on a distinguished road

Brian, My wife and I are planning on doing the same thing! House goes on market next year! I''ve been doing a lot of reserch on Cat''s myself. Question? After seeing cataramans at both Miami and Oakland boat shows, And seeing their prices, where do you expect to find a Catamaran that will host a family of 4 and cost $60,000.00? I''m looking for a 35 to 45 ft Cat, I hope to get a newer used one for around $200,000.00! Don''t mean you can''t find a used one for $60,000.00 and But you do get what you pay for....or do you?
Old 03-14-2002

scnicklefritz is on a distinguished road

maiden, Why not fly down to the Virgin Islands and look for a boat there? It''s not uncommon to find a good seaworthy boat for sail at a ''crossroads'' destination like that, which the owner just wants to walk away from.

Cash talks!!
Old 03-15-2002

maiden is on a distinguished road

Do you mean these boats would not be listed with a broker? I would love to avoid the sales tax.
Old 03-15-2002

scnicklefritz is on a distinguished road

Yea....
A great place to look for a boat is at a marina with a yard full of boats. There''s a good one on Virgin Gorda.

I would think that if you vacationed in the VI and BVI and traveled to the various boat yards, talked to the yard managers and employees, you might be able to connect with an owner that would be happy to sell their boat as is, where is, for the right price.

Don''t know if there''s a sales tax in the BVI. Eric on Kimberlite would be a great source of info for this sort of thing. He lives on St. Thomas, I think.

St. Martin has a decent yard as well, as I remember. I looked at boats there many years ago.
Old 03-15-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

If you bring her back to the States there is an import duty and ,depending on the state, local sales tax to pay. If you are buying a boat to bring to the Carribean and will be leaving the state quickly, there is no sales tax in most States.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

if you plan on visiting the caribbean every year you can register the boat in the usvi''s and ther is no tax just a $125 or so registration fee each year.
if you are looking for a ready to circumnavigate boat-- kimberlite is for sale. see http://kimberlite1.homestead.com
cheers
eric
eric
Old 03-26-2002

maiden is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all of you for the most appreciated information. I have been perusing websites and magazines and certainly been reading as much as I can find here at sailnet. Just a few more questions though. In reading the debates over encapsulated or bolted on keel, I would like to have a bolted on keel. In the debate over keel-stepped mast over deck-stepped mast, I could go either way....providing the deck stepped mast was well supported. There''s the issue of solid fiberglass or cored and all sorts of other structural details. At the Yachtworld site, and boats.com site these things are not mentioned about the boats for sale. Where can I find such information? Thanks to all in advance.
Old 03-27-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I don''t know of a site that really gives you coring information. You can usually tell by looking at the boat from the interior but not always because liners and the like can obsure whether the boat is cored. You should be able to ask the broker but many times they don''t really know. For example, I have had brokers tell me that older Hunters are cored which they aren''t.

Regards
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.