Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007

rlalaw is on a distinguished road
Transom Issue - Is it serious? Help!!

Please help before I make a big mistake, or pass on something good..

I am considering buying my first boat.. a Victoria or a Compac 16, and really liked the Victoria. Both are keeled daysailors with little cuddies that people can theoretically sleep in..

I looked at the Victoria, and it seemed in good shape, EXCEPT it had a slight bulge down the center of the transom (running vertically). You wouldn't notice unless you looked closely, but it was definitely there. This boat has a heavy Spartan motor mount in the center, so I was wondering if the vibrations from the outboard could have cracked something underneath. The current owner/seller said he never noticed this, and didn't use a motor (he's owned it 3 years and the boat is a 1983). I just want to make sure this thing won't crack up on my the first time I take it out..

Thanks for any advice you can provide..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you have photos of this... or have you looked at photos of other Victorias? It may be a normal part of the boat's design. Is the gelcoat cracked at the bulge? If not, is the gelcoat a slightly different color, as would probably be the case if the gelcoat was repaired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Also try tapping the area with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle to see if there is delamination locally there - it will sound different than the rest of the transom if so.

It the skin is separated, then it may be a problem. But at the same time it may be a simple thing to repair/reinforce. As SD says, a picture would help.
Old 07-23-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
a) The boat may have been made in two longitudinal halves and then joined together on the centreline.

b) There may be a structural support inside that has created a 'hard spot' over the years. If there is wood inside that has swelled, this is not at all unusual.

c) It may be the vestige of an earlier modification...

If there is no obvious gelcoat or fibreglass damage externally - look inside and see how the boat was built, and if there is anything in there that could be causing an issue. If it looks sound, then point it out to your surveyor and ask his opinion.