SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Is 21HP on the Ericson 35 ok? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/353-21hp-ericson-35-ok.html)

sailingdeacon 11-24-2000 04:38 AM

Is 21HP on the Ericson 35 ok?

I am considering a 35-3 and notice that most have a 21 hp engine. I will be in currents/tides and also in the Pamlico sound with an occasional short steep chop. Will the engine be sufficient? ALso, did it offer an alternate?

paulk 11-25-2000 04:21 AM

Seems like you''ve answered your own question by saying that most of them seem to have that engine. If this is a 35-3, with two earlier versions, Ericson should have been able to figure out if more power was needed, and most of them would have that. If you find the chop overpowering, getting a new prop could be an alternative a lot cheaper than a new engine. Dave Gerr talks about this some in one of his books. One reason for heftier horsepower in the current crop of designs is the need to deliver race boats to the the start at 10-12 knots, because you can''t get the fifteen guys needed to sail the thing until its actually race time.

Jeff_H 11-25-2000 10:35 AM

Paul, I am not clear on what are you trying to say when you say, "One reason for heftier horsepower in the current crop of designs is the need to deliver race boats to the the start at 10-12 knots, because you can''t get the fifteen guys needed to sail the thing until its actually race time."

If you look at the current crop of raceboats they actually take smaller crews than earlier IOR boats. A 35 footer in IOR days may have had a crew of 7 or 8. Today 43-35 raceboats can have crews of 5 (J-105) to 6 or so on a IMS or OD25. These are also easier boats to sail single handed or with limited crews than many similar sized cruising boats. Modern raceboats get by with smaller engines typically powering throught saildrives, which despite their variuus negatives are a bit more efficient in using a given horsepower.

Of course the Ericson 35-3 never was really was a race boat but was more of a performance cruiser with a rig that was a bit harder to handle than modern fractional rigs with non-overlapping jibs. As to the various HP differences, this is not a cut and dry issue. Diesels from the early 1970''s (as might be found on Ericson 35 mk1''s) tended to produce more torque at a lower RPM than more modern engines. To calculate horsepower in a rotating shaft, you multiply RPM x Torque X a constant. HP matters less on a sailboat engine than torque. Since these slow turning high torque engines produced similar torque to the current breed of lower torque, higher RPM engines modern engines appear to be more powerful, they really do not necessarily produce more usable power.

The extra HP is useful as modern boats do tend to have higher capacity alternators and the like that sap power.

Jeff

sailingdeacon 11-26-2000 06:38 AM

Thanks for the comments. While most Ericson owners who have commented to me have praise for the engine, there are a few who wish for a little more power. Clearly, those who sail flat water or on non-tidal waters have no problem. The few that have repowered clearly opt for substantial more hp. To be clearer for my needs (a 2-3 ft. chop at 20 knots) I just don''t want to drop from 5 down to 3 or less knots. I am hoping that with some sort of three-blade prop, the needed push through a chop or tide would be sufficient with the 21 hp engine. I also have noted that some Universal 25 owners think it is 25 hp, rather than 21 hp as I understand is correct. I have seen this apparent error mentioned in other boats. As to the thought that modern boats have larger engines to get to races quicker, I would point to the newer cruising boats such as the smaller Island Packets, Pacific 31, etc. where larger engines are the rule.

noctaluca 12-11-2000 10:27 AM

I have a 1972 E-35. I repowered with a Yanmar 3GM (28hp)with a three bladed prop. I wanted the extra power in San Francisco Bay for the 8-12 miles back to the dock in the south bay from the central bay. This is a very long trip home at the end of the day when the tide is ebbing. I also plan to do coastal cruising. Anyway there is ample power. If you have any questions about repowering please e-mail me.
Bill
s/v Noctaluca