Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
While I see a lot of PJ boats on a regular basis (factory is 13 mi. from my home port, and just across the cannal from where I lay-up for the winter.) I obviously don't know a lot about this model. Did the OD rule cover interior configuration, weight, or both? I would guess it pertained to hull, deck, equip, appendages, etc... and left interior to the individual owners.
Old 02-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
While I see a lot of PJ boats on a regular basis (factory is 13 mi. from my home port, and just across the cannal from where I lay-up for the winter.) I obviously don't know a lot about this model. Did the OD rule cover interior configuration, weight, or both? I would guess it pertained to hull, deck, equip, appendages, etc... and left interior to the individual owners.
T34C, I can't speak directly to the NY40, but on the NY36 the interiors were very standardized. I'd be surprised if the NY40 was done differently, since it too was conceived as a one-design. I'm pretty sure members of the NYYC are not penny pinchers, but allowing folks to customize interiors would send the prices through the roof and would ultimately thwart the one-design intent of the class.

What NYYC has done in the past on these one-design efforts is to develop a new, or identify an existing, design, then secured firm commitments from x number of members to purchase the design, then gone out to a builder to contract for a production run at a certain price per boat. It's actually a pretty smart way to approach one-design club racing. They get a boat that suits their requirements, at a competitive price based on their volume purchase. They usually also make the design available for purchase by non-club members as well. Since an NYYC sponsored class is virtually guaranteed a degree of success and notoriety, this is attractive for the builder and therefor helps to keep prices down for the NYYC members....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. Thanks for the details and bringing this boat to my attention. I really like it as an option. (Always looking for the next boat!) I may see what additional details I can get from PJ, as soon as it gets warm enough to drive up there.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2009

rstephan is on a distinguished road
NY 40's are alive and well on Long Island Sound. Several actively race and most are cruising as well. I have owned hull #9 for five years and have just re-powered it in 8/08 with a new Yanmar 40hp. Great boat to sail, cruise and race. I have much more information on NY 40's - please let me know how I can help. I may be putting my boat on the market.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
The Palmer Johnson NY40 is the same S&S hull design as the original Swan 40. Whoda thunk? S&S #2025.

I actually looked at a Swan 40 last year and loved the design but the boat hadn't had a single upgrade in 40 years! Thanks, no.
Saw an ad for a PJ NY 40 and really liked the look too. Wasn't til I started digging about that I found out it was the same design. No wonder I liked it and thought it looked familiar. Interior was slightly different.

Don't like the flush companionway though. IE No washboards. Just begging to have a wave wash over and down...
Old 04-04-2011

tartanexplorer is on a distinguished road
to rstephan

not sure how this site works, but I would like to track down rstephan about his ny 40 and find out if he is in fact looking to sell. I know the ny 40 well, raced them for years as a kid, familiar with most that were built and raced in new england.
Old 04-04-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The Palmer Johnson NY40 is the same S&S hull design as the original Swan 40. Whoda thunk? S&S #2025.

I actually looked at a Swan 40 last year and loved the design but the boat hadn't had a single upgrade in 40 years! Thanks, no.
Saw an ad for a PJ NY 40 and really liked the look too. Wasn't til I started digging about that I found out it was the same design. No wonder I liked it and thought it looked familiar. Interior was slightly different.

Don't like the flush companionway though. IE No washboards. Just begging to have a wave wash over and down...
Just a quick historical footnote... PJ was the importer/finisher/distributor of Swan yachts (S&S designed in the early days). The build quality of the old Aluminum and Glass PJ yachts was outstanding.
Old 04-04-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanexplorer View Post
not sure how this site works, but I would like to track down rstephan about his ny 40 and find out if he is in fact looking to sell. I know the ny 40 well, raced them for years as a kid, familiar with most that were built and raced in new england.
There is a PJ NY40 listed on Yachtworld down in Deltaville, VA. It belongs to the father of a guy I used to crew with. I've only been on the boat for after race libations, but the boat seemed to be in fair shape. I'm not down that way any more but you might be able to find someone to take a look to confirm my memories to see if the boat warrants a trip to look at. I don't expect there are a lot of them on the market at any given time.

Its listed by Jonathan Hutchings of Annapolis Yacht Sales South.

Good Luck,
Old 02-07-2012

csw31 is on a distinguished road
Pj ny40

Does anyone know how the rating is for the NY40 (IRC/OCC) Is anyone having some success in New England racing one of these. We are looking for a small (38-41 ft) seaworthy distance racer. Annapolis Newport, Halifax etc. and the NY 40 looks like the right kind of boat, if it can sail to a rating. I raced on one years ago but that was one design.
Old 10-09-2012

1958 is on a distinguished road
Re: Palmer Johnson NY40

Long time since this thread started and still not many replies. It is 2012 and I see 2 PJ NY 40's for sale and look like maybe interesting fun/cruiser with good PHRF. Does anyone know anything about hull and deck construction on these?