Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TB...ANY 50+ ft. older boat will require a sizeable maintenance budget but if there has been an extensive & recent re-fit with attention to decks, rig, tank issues, engine etc (as opposed to cosmetics & electronics.)....then it might not need much at all for a while. That 55 looks in good shape from the pictures.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Which is why we're looking for a boat in the $275k-$400k range as a base, but then we'll fix up everything that needs fixing... That way we'll hopefully minimize needed repairs during our actual cruise...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Which is why we're looking for a boat in the $275k-$400k range as a base, but then we'll fix up everything that needs fixing... That way we'll hopefully minimize needed repairs during our actual cruise...

Labatt, I may be dumb.....I don't understand...for that money as a budget, just buy a new boat, that needs little further investment and get done with it....

Why are you going to spend that amount of money in a crapy old 1980's shitty boat???

Get a new one and get done...I don't get it...
Old 07-26-2007
I'd rather be sailing

It's something we talk about... a new Passport 515CC, for example, would be about $800k-$900k, last we checked. We think we can find a late '80s boat and refit it for $500k-$600k, and save ourselves a few hundred thousand. Plus, we're not sure we want a new boat - then we'll always worry about dropping something on the nice new floors, or scratching the imron, or doing something to damage our beauty! We're cruising for 18 months - new might just be scary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...have you priced a new Passport/Oyster/Tayana/HR/Hylas or other similar quality NEW 50+' boat???
You're looking in the neighborhood of $700K-1,000,000
If you can get that quality for less than half price and fix everything and refit for less than $100k...it can pay for quite a few years of cruising. That's what we did and in many ways, I would rather have a boat that is built to the old standards than the way even the premium boats are built today. (Example...cored hulls).
Old 07-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
So these are not good???? I'd rather go 18 months in one of these, than in an 20 year old "good" "revamped" boat (its still a 20 year old shitty boat)....that is just the way you my American friends think and are....only the old are good, its a fashion you guys follow....but I see that all over here in sailnet...I read you guys...to you what is good is old Pearson, Hylas (what a frekkin joke), Tayana, Pacific, passport....we are sooooo diferent.....

Please check bellow....just have a look...you're all victims of: "the only good boats to cruise are old solid boats that were built before CNC machines and toilet paper was invented and that I spend a lot of money but everyone at sailnet will love me" disease.....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ck&searchtype=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...63&searchPage=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...63&searchtype=

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-26-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I should have also mentioned I like classic lines The Vagabond is OK, but in Europe... I'm looking for a solid (heavy) cruising boat that can do everything from coastal to transatlantic to the Panama Canal, etc. We absolutely love our 1984 Passport 40, and I'm constantly amazed at the number of people (many with the boats you have links to) who are mesmerized by its sheer and design. I've done my share of racing, and what I want is a pure cruising boat. I also don't want a coastal cruiser or dock queen. I want something romantic. I want a boat that I say "I can't believe I own that" everytime I come up to it. Your "20 year old shitty boat" is the one that I want to live in, and the racer you own is one I might like to play with on weekends (and used to when I raced on Long Island Sound). By the way, have you actually seen the interior of a Passport, Tayana, Hallberg-Rassy, etc., or the exterior fit and finish? And then compared that to a Beneteau, or Hanse or DuFour? There is absolutely no comparison.

By the way, I'd buy a new Passport or Tayana in a heartbeat, and it's something we're considering. Hell - I could buy a new Oyster 56 for a couple of million if I really wanted to, but I certainly didn't get to where I am in life by overspending. I think a late '80s or early '90s boat, refitted, will do us just fine.
Old 07-26-2007

OK, now you have explained.

You are attracted to the lines and the romaticism of an old design. Then in that case makes sense.

I too prefer the 60's and 70's Ferrarri to the new ones. I got it now as to why you want them. I still think its a trend in the US.

I know the tayana and HR inside, and let me tell you, the GS is up to that level, or the Nauticat.

Now...since you're talking mega bucks....I have one word for you, ....NAUTOR
Old 07-26-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I know what you mean about the older Ferrari's... I'm a sucker for classic car design... here's my current baby... Carrera S, 993, last of the air cooled, last of the hand built, last model year in existence and only a few hundred built...

I've never been a huge lover of Swans. If I had a love of varnishing (and it was a tri-cabin), here's the boat I'd buy... Click Here
Old 07-27-2007

Labatt, cool

Me too, not so much now, at one time had 4 classic cars....all 2 seat convertibles.

This is one I will never sell, its a true classic, this one is 100% original German made in 1980, never restored, painted, retouched, or any other thing, all as built, in mint condition garage kept for 27 years.

This is a new one, only 2 years old, I always loved the design of this car, the last of the original 399 HP Super Charged 4.2L V8 also hand made. Just don’t make them like that anymore.(TommyT and Val rode on it).

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-27-2007 at 01:38 AM.