Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Tayana 55

Would anyone have any idea... If I'm looking at a Tayana 55, what problem areas should I make sure to inspect?

Thanks!!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Cam may have a lowly Tayana 52 < G > . . . but you definitely should be directing this question his way.

Camaraderie
Old 07-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Would anyone have any idea... If I'm looking at a Tayana 55, what problem areas should I make sure to inspect?

Thanks!!

Some Tayanas, might be inhabited by these strange creatures....in it self a reason to walk away from a perfectly good boat....

They smell, are loud, writte a lot of things about GPS's and some, tend to dress as girls....they drool over boat electronics, specially sound systems.

Low rate photoshop skills, it is said, that most tend to migrate into RV trips...only rumors....

This might be a reason not to aquire one of those boats, specially painted in PATRIOTIC AWLGRIP

This is what happens when you ask them to leave...

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-25-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
www.tognews.com is the current 'active' website of Tayana owners. Try posting your query there.
Old 07-25-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
Since I have a Tayana I visit the TOG site now and then. It's the right place to ask your question but I don't think I've ever seen reference to a 55. It's mostly populated by 37s and some 42s. It has nowhere near the activity of this site. Cam is probably your best bet. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
Old 07-25-2007
PNW transplants in CA

paul77 is on a distinguished road
Have also been researching Tayana 55s. Agree tognews is not a very good source of information for the 55s, or even the 52s. I am guessing it's because there are so few.

I'd recommend finding your local "new" tayana dealer, and getting an inspector recommendation from them. Maybe someone who inspected these boats when they came in as new, or has inspected them over their lifetime. My local broker was able to make such a recommendation. FWIW they are still making the T55 center cockpit, though are pushing the T55/58 Deck Salon which seems to be a cosmetic redesign only and the original hull is essentially the same.

Not a specific Tayana thing, but everyone brings up concerns on the teak decks due to the way they were constructed. You'd want to find out if they were redone, and if not if there are problems. Also whether they will be due for being redone again. This is common to other boats though, so I think any inspector will catch this.

It seems that they were well built and that any issues to look for are no different than that of any other aging sailboat. Rigging, sails, hardware, engine, all should have been serviced, replaced, etc at the right times. I'm basing this assessment on reading what people have replaced on their boats.

A knowleadgable inspector familiar with these boats though will have seen all kinds of things I'm sure.

Please share if you find out about any issues though!
Old 07-25-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I emailed the admin at Tognews about getting an account earlier.. I have to go see if he set me up with one... I figured I'd catch Cam's eye on this post...

Tom - How's the new boat working out? It feels strange to have bought a new boat less than a year ago and to be already out looking again... and I had also bought a new boat the year before that! This "fast track to cruising" thing is starting to get expensive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by labatt; 07-25-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Giu - what should I do if I see one of those awful creatures aboard?
Old 07-25-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
The new boat is working out great, I'm really happy with it. As with any boat there are always things to fix(sometimes because I break them) or upgrade but that is half the fun. I'm on the Chesapeake this summer to shake it down but plan to move to Cape May or Atlantic City next year. My last boat was kept at Farley Marina in AC about 25 years ago but I think it's Harrahs now. The Bay is nice but I like ocean sailing a lot more. I plan to go to Maine and Bermuda next year and it's just a lot easier to leave from NJ than the Sassafras. I've been reading your posts and it sounds like you're having a ball also. Good luck and if I had the money I'd be looking at Cam's boat.
Tom
Old 07-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...Well...nothing really different than any of the Taiwan boats of the 80's and early 90's.
Decks...blisters...tanks...chain plates seem to be the problem areas and need to be looked at closely. Nothing to worry about in the structure or hull layup.
Of course engine needs a survey as well. There are VAST differences in these boats based on care/upkeep over the years. I looked at many Taiwan CC boats before I bought mine. I generally knew within 5 minutes to walk away from a boat and given your Passport experience now...I think you will find the same.
One thing I would caution on the 55 is that the air draft and keel depth are NOT good for East Coast bridges ICW and the Bahamas. I don't think they made these in anything except a sloop/cutter so I would pay attention to mainsail handling system and genny...as they have to be a handful without electrics. They trade very close in price to the T52 since they are not as desirable...but the layout may meet your family needs.
Hope that helps a bit.