Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2002

Mauidan is on a distinguished road
Swing keels over fixed

I do most of my sailing in the Tampa Bay where it''s easy to find shallow bottom. I''ve started searching for my second boat and heard more and more about swing keels. Just looking for any wisdow this board can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Swing keels over fixed

A keel/centerboard (this is not a swing keel or a centerboard alone design) is a tried and true design. It is found on many high end boats like Hinckley and Alden. It is especially popular on much larger boats, to keep draft limited while providing superior offshore performance.

The K/CB design is one that uses a keel AND a CB. The boat can be sailed on the keel alone with no real detriment in performance. The CB can be lowered for some added stability and windward performance.

Of course there is the added maintenance of having to inspect the cable etc. In general there is no yearly work except to look it over. Cables can last a long while.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Swing keels over fixed

Swing keels have a number of advantages. They allow comparatively easy loading on a trailer and of course can allow youto slip into shallower venues. They are comapratively inexpensive to build and so often show up on value oriented boats.

Of course as with most things in sailing there is also a downside. Generally swing keels have to be kept light enough that they can be hauled up with a reasonable size winch and so are substantially lighter than a comparable fixed keel. As a result swing keel boats generally have less stability than a fixed keel boat. That significantly hurts heavy air performance and safety. This is an important consideration in Tampa where the thunderstorms appear like magic on the best of sailing days.

This lack of stability is typically partially offset by having less sail area on a swing keel boat. And of course that significantly hurts light air performance relative to a well designed fin keel boat.

The worst problem with a swing keel is that they can slam shut in a knock down (something that I have experienced first hand in the Atlantic off of Savannah) and that generally occurs at just the worst time and can do a lot of damage to the boat.

Still and all, while a swing keel is more of a compromise that I would prefer for my own use, if used as designed, swing keel boats allow access to a lot of shallow venues pretty inexpensively.

Regards
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.