Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007

Izz is on a distinguished road
1979 Saber

Hi All,
Here we go again. Just made an offer on a 1979 Saber 28. Boat in good condition. Motor is the original 2cyl, 13 hp. Any info on this boat and engine would be appreciated. Offered $15,000. Asking $18,500. NADA about $22,000. Boat is in Barnaget Bay NJ. We are in central Jersey. Sorry no pictures
Thanks,
Izz

Last edited by Izz; 08-04-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Location
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
It would help if we knew where you were and what the boat looked like (aka some pics)
Old 08-06-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Izz

May be a bit high for an "original" Sabre...78 and 79 in good shape on Chesapeake Bay are offered in the $11 - $20K range depending on shape, equipment and the like. Last year I bought a Sabre 38 and love it. We were in Urbanna, VA to look at a nice 28' but my wife felt it was just too small for our plans. Great for day sailing or a single overnite, but not for a week long cruise.

They are great boats of above average build and quality. Survey though, for sure. All the best.

dave
Old 08-07-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Hi All,
Here we go again. Just made an offer on a 1979 Saber 28. Boat in good condition. Motor is the original 2cyl, 13 hp. Any info on this boat and engine would be appreciated. Offered $15,000. Asking $18,500. NADA about $22,000.
Thanks, Izz
Hi Izz,

We sold our 1975 Sabre 28' about four years ago, and wish that we never had to; however, we do love our little Albin Vega...though quite a different boat altogether!

If you want to contact me off line, I would be glad to discuss the pros and cons of the boat...though we found the pros to far outweigh the cons. The biggest issue we had with our Sabre was the A4 (which was original to all the Sabre 28's right through the late 70's?!??!). The issue was not so much with the engine itself, but the lack of access to it. I spent many hours upside down, on my head, bent in half on the port side with just my head sticking in through the access port....very difficult to get anything done on that engine! What should have taken an hour took two to three...almost guaranteed.

I ended up putting a 22 gallon holding tank on board with a new head and plumbing. The 75's dumped directly overboard...

As far as sailing goes, there wasn't a nicer ride in my opinion. She was rather quick off the wind, pointed nicely, and had offered more room below decks than most 30's or 32's. Spacious cockpit and wheel steering.

Depending on what is on board in terms of electronics, furling, winches, etc...I think most of the late 70 series mkII models are just around the $15-$20K price range as far as I have seen. Survey is a must, but they rarely if ever suffer from soft decks. Occasionally they will get a bit soft where the wheel is mounted to the cockpit sole...but I have only heard of this in a few cases.

These are really great boats, I don't think you could go wrong with the 28'.

Good luck with everything!
Chris
Albin Vega #1865
Ready About