Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriCdn View Post
maybe I can add to thsi thread, what is teh smallest boat that you would feel safe in crossing the ocean, or making very long passages, who knows, maybe an extended circumnav.[...]
I'd rather have a tank of a little boat that I can afford to do 100% and have the highest quality of everything.
I am with you on the small tank concept, but for reasoning that really leads me to the conclusion that I have no business doing it yet. My primary reasoning is that with less complexity, I could master it sooner and that mastering the boat you are on is far more important than having a "better" boat that you can't run properly. A secondary thought is that at my current skill level, it is not unlikely that I would get knocked over on a crossing and the smaller the boat, the more confidence I would have in my ability to get it upright again. I think that almost any decent cruiser has a pretty good chance of making it across an ocean unscathed, but if I am gambling with my life, I want more than just pretty good odds. I was reading about the mini Transat in a book just last night, and it mentioned that it was done on a small boat specifically designed for crossing by skilled captains and yet 7 (at the time of the printing, I guess) had been lost. I think if I have a lot of questions about what makes a boat seaworthy enough, then I am not ready; forget about which boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
What's small?

Mine feels small in the ocean or in Antigua... but very large when I am waxing the hull. Shiva's 36 LOA and fine for singlehanding, reasonably fast passage making and comfy to live on. To some she's small.. to others... she big. To me she is perfect.

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-09-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Try the Ta Shing Baba 30. It's a gorgeous boat that also happens to be my perfect "small" boat for going anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
haha. I first read this thread as "Your favorite Smell Cruising" and thought about a nice grilled steak... dyslexic moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-09-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
a friend of mine once said; "it is a sad frog that doesn't brag on his own pond"..that being said..
Sabre 30 MKIII

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 08-10-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
haha. I first read this thread as "Your favorite Smell Cruising" and thought about a nice grilled steak... dyslexic moment.
well at least it was just a dyslexic moment, i have been having dyslexic days (check previous posts lol )

Anyway, I am in love with the BABA's now but not the price.

I love the direction the recommendations have been going. What boats are similar to the BABA's and West sails, I'm most willing to shell out a bit more on a boat that is as nice as they look, mind you i haven't been in one in person. This will be my home for a good amount of time while i prepare for my trip and eventually go in the next few years.

So keep em coming!

also, what is the advantage, in your words and experience (i've read a ton) of the canoe sterns?
Old 08-10-2007

GBurton is on a distinguished road
What happened to your Westsail....what was her name?
Old 08-10-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Hans Christians are nice, and have the same traditional look.
Old 08-10-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
Hans Christians are nice, and have the same traditional look.
And more wood than a basketball court.
Old 08-10-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Canoe sterns may provide an added degree of seaworthiness in EXTREME conditions (parting large following seas), otherwise they are mostly an aesthetic preference. Personally, I like the look, although I don't own one. I prefer the way Bill Crealock has rendered the canoe sterns in the Pacific Seacraft line (34, 37, 40, 44), as compared to other designers' renditions. Bill's just look crisper/cleaner to me, and less droopy/puffy. A down-side to canoe sterns is that you get less internal volume from a given length boat than you would with a traditional transom.

So that no one labels me a sad frog, let me plug the Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31. Similar to it's larger canoe-sterned stable mates, the less well-known 31 has a traditional wine glass transom. If you are seeking a larger boat than the PSC Dana 24 or Orion 27, with a fin rather than full keel, it may be worth a look. Note that the PSC Crealock 31 is not to be confused with an earlier PSC model called the "Mariah 31" (although the Mariah may be something you'd want to look at too -- just be aware of the distinction.)