Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
dinghy placement

Just out of curiosity, any suggestions on dinghy placement and storage on a canoe stern, i saw one with a inflatable on some sort of rig on the back, but ti was a very large canoe stern boat, not sure of the make.

it seems that the easiest place would be off the back leaving room on the deck. . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
AC...while davits are handy for storage in settled conditions most will tell you they have no place at sea. Dinks should be on deck or rolled up and stowed when passagemaking.
I would imagine that if you are looking at a canoe stern you are thinking about passages in open water. Davits can be useful in harbors and to mount solar panels (ask CD!!) but a dink on the stern can get pooped and rip the whole structure out and literally be life threatening in bad weather.

http://www.oceanmarinesystems.com/photos_sail_p2.html
http://www.edsonmarine.com/sailcatalog07/00062.htm
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...eywords=davits
Old 08-12-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Davits can be useful in harbors and to mount solar panels (ask CD!!) but a dink on the stern can get pooped and rip the whole structure out and literally be life threatening in bad weather.
What about a cover or pulling it up on deck and then sliding it out onto the top of the davits like it was a roof rack (with the boat upside down) for passages? Just a question based on observation and "what if" thinking - I don't have any experiences with this.
Old 08-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
ARB....It is the force of the water against the square footage of the dinghy that breaks things...not so much the weight and breaks things. Not a good idea but you will see many boats out there carrying dinghys on davits at sea.
I've also seen some really expensive repair jobs to ripped out decks!
Old 08-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Camaraderie explained it well. Most off-shore cruisers try to get the dinghy on deck or stowed below. Even on deck, though, the dinghy can be damaged by the force of water/waves. But it's much better there than in stern davits.

Some big boats can get away with it most of the time, but if you do a lot of off-shore passagemaking the odds will eventually catch up to you. That said, we sailed from Abaco to Beaufort NC with a big inflatable in davits without any difficulty. My friend, the boat's owner, was comfortable with this arrangement, but I confess it caused me a great deal of apprehension (further heightened when I learned after departure that the dinghy in davits was also our liferaft for the voyage!)

If you are only coastal cruising/daysailing, you can get away with davits pretty much all the time and they are very handy to have. I don't think there are any special problems with using davits on canoe sterns -- I've certainly seen them often enough.
Old 08-13-2007

gigglingdolphins is on a distinguished road
we have a Hans Christian 33, solid fiberglass 1" 1/4 on deck (no coring), for a 33 she is very roomy (queen pullman and in the head a seperate sit down shower) and has a ton of storage space, she weighs in at 18,500 un-loaded ours is about 20,000. she may not be fast unless it is blowing. but for saftey I 'll take her anywhere...well no polar caps ok I am partical.

Cape Dory's, Fuji 35, Baba, Dana, and a lot also depends on how you have her outfitted too.
Have fun searching and climbing around many "homes" you will know when you find her.
we took so long and climbed around on so many boats our broker quit on us, but a year later we found her. and he lost out on his commission
Old 08-13-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Camaraderie explained it well. Most off-shore cruisers try to get the dinghy on deck or stowed below. Even on deck, though, the dinghy can be damaged by the force of water/waves. But it's much better there than in stern davits.

Some big boats can get away with it most of the time, but if you do a lot of off-shore passagemaking the odds will eventually catch up to you. That said, we sailed from Abaco to Beaufort NC with a big inflatable in davits without any difficulty. My friend, the boat's owner, was comfortable with this arrangement, but I confess it caused me a great deal of apprehension (further heightened when I learned after departure that the dinghy in davits was also our liferaft for the voyage!)

If you are only coastal cruising/daysailing, you can get away with davits pretty much all the time and they are very handy to have. I don't think there are any special problems with using davits on canoe sterns -- I've certainly seen them often enough.
What a nightmare that could be - sinking because the stern was torn up when your lifeboat was ripped away!

Thanks for the education, guys; I will try to file this one away in some of the few remaining good brain cells so maybe I will remember it when the time comes.
Old 08-18-2007
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Here's my list... all aren't exactly blue water though....

J Boats 34C
Sabre 34
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Wauquiez Hood 38
C & C 36
CS 36T
Niagara 35
Morgan 382
Tartan 37

Thanks,
Craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Bayfield 29 or 32
Old 08-19-2007

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
How about Island Packet?