SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   your favorite small cruising (blue water) boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/35880-your-favorite-small-cruising-blue-water-boat.html)

AmeriCdn 08-08-2007 10:41 AM

your favorite small cruising (blue water) boat

Ok, I know this is a bit a of a redundant question but as the summer is coming to an end I seem to be seeing a lot of good looking deals starting to pop up and when I was back in NYC I heard at the marina a fair amount of boats going up for sail.

I went from being set on a Tartan to just having too many choices.

So I am just curious what everyones small, blue water cruiser is, it needs to be easily single handed and have the ability to sail the world comfortably and safely.

Personally, I sailed a westsail 32 and enjoyed it, the part that made me love it was the stability I felt at sail and just as importantly was the interior comfort, size, and finish.

So with that in mind, what woudl you recomend i start researching heavily and what would be similar interior wise?

southerncross31 08-08-2007 11:51 AM

If you liked the Westail, check out a SC31...same design but better engineered. They sail better and are lighter, but have slightly less interior room. There are 10+ for sale on yachworld. Of course, i am slightly biased having just poured my heart and soul into restoring mine. It floats but the work is only 1/2 done :)

sailingdog 08-08-2007 12:15 PM

Just be aware that the Southern Cross boats have a cored hull...with an Airex core. The Westsail 32 was solid glass IIRC. Both are very solid boats and have circumnavigated IIRC. Donna Lange just finished in an SC28.

AmeriCdn 08-08-2007 12:48 PM

i had my eye on a SC actually, the advantage i saw, and thsi is without doing much research yet, was the vast amount of very dedicated westsail groups and part suppliers.

What is everyones opinion on the cored hull? if it's in good shape is it a good thing?

anyoen knwo where i can get some godo interior pics of the SC?

sailingdog 08-08-2007 12:56 PM

Southern Crosses are pretty solid boats. Unless they damaged the hull or added a through-hulll improperly, they don't seem to have many hull core-related issues. IIRC, many had owner finished interiors, so the layout and quality of the interiors can vary quite a bit.

One thing I've seen that leads to problems on boats with cored-hulls is when someone attaches something to the interior surface, but doesn't pot the hole with thickened epoxy. If the attachment is down in the bilge, water can often get into the cored hull laminate via the screw hole. On one boat, don't believe it was an SC, there was a lot of "moisture" in the hull, and it turned out to be from a screw that was used to hold a bonding wire support in the bilge.

camaraderie 08-08-2007 01:09 PM

Cape Dory 33

Sapperwhite 08-08-2007 03:04 PM

I really enjoy my PSC Orion. I have yet to do any blue water sailing in her though.
The boat is solid and small enough to singlehand, and its easier to finance the dream as everything is smaller and less expensive. What had finally sold me on the boats ability was the account of Brec Morgan, who solo circumnavigated his Orion out of Bloc Island. So, it can be done. The boat sails well, but it is initially a little tender. It doesn't take much to get her over to 15 degrees heel. However the boat will stay right there for some time. I've had up full sails beating in 20 to 25kt wind and the boat stayed heeled to 15-20 degrees.
It is a little small if you plan on having any good sized crew with you (wife, kids, dog)

TAK 08-08-2007 03:55 PM

you might wanna take a look at the Shannon 28s ..

AmeriCdn 08-08-2007 04:12 PM

any boat that combines

I love the hull lines of the tartan but the interior of most of the boats you guys posted here. . . any boat that is somewhere in between?

AmeriCdn 08-08-2007 04:16 PM

oh and I absolutely love the head in the back of the cabin by the cockpit rather than by the v-birth