Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
your favorite small cruising (blue water) boat

Ok, I know this is a bit a of a redundant question but as the summer is coming to an end I seem to be seeing a lot of good looking deals starting to pop up and when I was back in NYC I heard at the marina a fair amount of boats going up for sail.

I went from being set on a Tartan to just having too many choices.

So I am just curious what everyones small, blue water cruiser is, it needs to be easily single handed and have the ability to sail the world comfortably and safely.

Personally, I sailed a westsail 32 and enjoyed it, the part that made me love it was the stability I felt at sail and just as importantly was the interior comfort, size, and finish.

So with that in mind, what woudl you recomend i start researching heavily and what would be similar interior wise?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
If you liked the Westail, check out a SC31...same design but better engineered. They sail better and are lighter, but have slightly less interior room. There are 10+ for sale on yachworld. Of course, i am slightly biased having just poured my heart and soul into restoring mine. It floats but the work is only 1/2 done
Old 08-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be aware that the Southern Cross boats have a cored hull...with an Airex core. The Westsail 32 was solid glass IIRC. Both are very solid boats and have circumnavigated IIRC. Donna Lange just finished in an SC28.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2007

i had my eye on a SC actually, the advantage i saw, and thsi is without doing much research yet, was the vast amount of very dedicated westsail groups and part suppliers.

What is everyones opinion on the cored hull? if it's in good shape is it a good thing?

anyoen knwo where i can get some godo interior pics of the SC?
Old 08-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Southern Crosses are pretty solid boats. Unless they damaged the hull or added a through-hulll improperly, they don't seem to have many hull core-related issues. IIRC, many had owner finished interiors, so the layout and quality of the interiors can vary quite a bit.

One thing I've seen that leads to problems on boats with cored-hulls is when someone attaches something to the interior surface, but doesn't pot the hole with thickened epoxy. If the attachment is down in the bilge, water can often get into the cored hull laminate via the screw hole. On one boat, don't believe it was an SC, there was a lot of "moisture" in the hull, and it turned out to be from a screw that was used to hold a bonding wire support in the bilge.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-08-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cape Dory 33
Old 08-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I really enjoy my PSC Orion. I have yet to do any blue water sailing in her though.
The boat is solid and small enough to singlehand, and its easier to finance the dream as everything is smaller and less expensive. What had finally sold me on the boats ability was the account of Brec Morgan, who solo circumnavigated his Orion out of Bloc Island. So, it can be done. The boat sails well, but it is initially a little tender. It doesn't take much to get her over to 15 degrees heel. However the boat will stay right there for some time. I've had up full sails beating in 20 to 25kt wind and the boat stayed heeled to 15-20 degrees.
It is a little small if you plan on having any good sized crew with you (wife, kids, dog)
Old 08-08-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
you might wanna take a look at the Shannon 28s ..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 08-08-2007

any boat that combines

I love the hull lines of the tartan but the interior of most of the boats you guys posted here. . . any boat that is somewhere in between?
Old 08-08-2007

oh and I absolutely love the head in the back of the cabin by the cockpit rather than by the v-birth