Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2001

Trisail is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

Just read your December post on the message board. I''m impressed that you have spoken to so many Allmand owners. I''m looking for an Allmand. Do you know of any that are for sail?
Thanks, Joan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
ALLMAND 31

I don''t know of any for sail but if I hear of one I will pass it on to you.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2008

catasail is on a distinguished road
Owned an Allmand since 2001

This is an interesting post. The Allmand 31 does a great job for what it was built. Is it great at racing, no. I have never raced it, but I have sailed with a Hunter 33.3 and other boat friends and we stay up with them especially in heavy air. I actually did not expect that especially with very old sails. As far as quality it is built like a tank, extremely heavy and the hull to deck joint is better that most. It is much better than a Hunter or Catalina. I have a friend that had one in Florida that they lived on for years during the winter. I always call it a poor man's Island Packet. They are getting some age on them, but if it has been taken care of and if the owner has watched water infiltration these are great boats for a cruiser. Everyone likes the design and looks of my boat and I will not get rid of it till I get retire to Florida and sell it in Ohio. The 3'10" draft has it perks, you can go almost anywhere, of course it does cause some sliding. However the hull design is unusual and when the mid ship gets in the water from heel it sails well.
I think this boat is a bargain in the lower level, You could buy a 3 or 4 year old Macgregor and get a really poorly built boat and poor sailing.
Have fun, buy a boat and enjoy life.
Old 10-09-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Maybe in the seven years since this thread has been in hybernation they've improved relatively through modern design failures. ;-)

ALLMAND 31 166 210 189
ALLMAND 31 TM 183 189 186

Looks to me that if you can convince the committee to accept that 210 PHRF you'll be in the silver. :-D Interesting the tall mast is worse???

One of our local disk jockies had one ("Allmand Joy" - groan). It appears to be middle of the pack as far as sailing abilities. If the interor appeals to you, go for it.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 12-16-2008
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
I was on an Allmand 31 this past summer on lake Champlain. I particularly liked the cockpit layout-- it had an l-shaped seat at the front, similar to a powerboat, and the boom traveler was ahead of the companionway--out of the way of people, as was the boom. I can't speak for its speed, as we were in light air almost the whole time, and ended up motoring a lot of the weekend.
Still, a nice roomy boat inside and out for 31 ft. If you can find one that has been well taken care of, I say go for it. On the other hand there are some rea boat bargains out there right now, and you might find something in the mid-30s range for around 20Gs if you look closely.
Good luck!
Old 08-06-2009

TMoray is on a distinguished road
Hello, This is my first post here. I was willed an Allmand 31 and know virtually nothing about it or sailing. I hope to change that. Are there sources of owners' manuals, specs.,etc.?
Tnx, Tom
Old 08-07-2009

toastchee is on a distinguished road
If anyone has any specific questions, I crew regularly on an Allmand 31 here in Charleston. I can check it out and get back to you.

So far I like it as a big slow fun boat for the weekly race. Looks really good belowdecks.
Old 07-27-2011

cavildsen is on a distinguished road
My 1st post!

What information are you looking for? I have an allmand 31 and I am looking for the length of the battens on an original mainsail. I am also looking for a mainsail furler. Chris
Old 09-13-2011

W8ing2sail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavildsen View Post
What information are you looking for? I have an allmand 31 and I am looking for the length of the battens on an original mainsail. I am also looking for a mainsail furler. Chris
Do you like your Allmand? I'm thinking about purchasing one. There are alot for sale right now at good prices.
Old 03-15-2012

Allmand-man is on a distinguished road
Re: ALLMAND 31

WoW allot of veering responses!!
The truth to you question is in the reason why you asked.
The Allmand 31 was built for cursing and has the added beam width for more internal space. The wide beam gives her suability in medium to heavy winds but slows her in the water. I find her relaxing to sail and conferrable for extended trips and for me I enjoy sailing her.