Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2000

sclafever is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

Anyone have any information about the Allmand 31??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
ALLMAND 31

Per below:-Almands had a reputation for being slow, and very poorly built. My sense is that they would not be much fun if you are really into sailing. They were beamy and so had a lot of room for their length. They might make a minimum length liveaboard for not a huge amount of money. Watching them underway, they are not good in light air, heavy air or a chop. These boats are getting pretty long in the tooth so a survey would be in order. I wish the news were better.

Respectfully
Jeff
Old 12-13-2000

nl836 is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

We own and have been cruising in an Allmand 31 for ten months. After having it on the great lakes for several years we had it shipped to Charlesto where we boarded and started our first cruising experience. We enjoyed it so much that we are making a five year commitment for cruising. The boat sails well, is very forgiving (feels very safe) and is very attractive. It handled well in all weather, surveyed well and is in every respect a lovely boat. We are now looking at bigger boats because of the captains height and our long term commitment. We are finding the field narrow for space and comfort compared to what we already have. Many bigger boats don''t have the head room, bunk length or storage. The Allmond has been a great boat for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to nl836 For This Useful Post:
Redbecca (05-20-2013)
Old 12-14-2000

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

To Jeff H,

While it''s not without hope this trying to explain why certain sailboats have particular features is filled it pitfalls.

Long ago some Encyclopedia Co. wrote a "perfect" door to door sales pitch. The first question was: "Do you live here?"

How to go about this with more success on bulletin boards I have no idea but you do as well as anyone has.

I would not touch an Almand 31 with a 11 foot pole but then I like sailing. There is no way to improve a boat like this. Remember "a bad barrel is forever"

Old 12-15-2000

ALLMAND 31

Thanks for the reply. We feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it is based on fact. I wonder what kind of experience you had on an Allmand that would leave you with such a bad opinion.
Our fellow cruisers were in fact quite impressed with our boats performance, style, and grace.
The boat also did well racing on the Great Lakes. Respectfully, Nl836
The Following User Says Thank You to nl836 For This Useful Post:
Redbecca (05-20-2013)
Old 12-16-2000

ALLMAND 31

I have never been aboard a Allmand 31 however I have seen them try to sail in light air and they fail at this. The Allmand 31 has a Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 13.44, a ballast displacement ratio of 33%. Combined with only a 4'' draft this design relies too much on it''s beam for stability.

Our boat is a C&C 35-1. It has a SA/DR of 19.2 and a ballast/displacement raio of 48% and for that matter a more desireable (for sailing) beam length ratio too.

Have you ever sailed on a C&C 35? or maybe a C&C 33 or how about a C&C 40??

Look at Grampions. They have a lot of headroom and seem to be your kind of boat.
Old 12-16-2000

ALLMAND 31

Mike, We have friends who have a C&C 41. It is a very nice high performance boat. They enjoy racing but are not cruisers. There is not enough living space to live onboard and cruise for length of time that we plan. The boat is very nice and very fast but we are not into racing. We are cruisers who enjoy sailing and more interested in comfort than speed. We are looking at many boats to try and find the right one for us. Sincerely, NL836
Old 12-17-2000

ALLMAND 31

Then I suggest a trawler. Some of them have a little sail on the back.

A C&C 41 is too small? I am on the way to visit our friends again in Florida. They live on their C&C 35-1 in the winter. A C&C 35-1 is about the size of a newer 33'' sailboat.

Get the trawler. I suggest the "Trader" brand. It is just like the Allmand in quality.
Old 12-17-2000

sclafever is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

Hi NL. I have talked to over 20 Allmand owners on the internet. All of them tell me there isn''t much out there that is as roomy as the Allmand 31 in that size range. I have researched many boat books that I have and also find that to be true. The C&C is a good boat. However, compared to the Allmand, you lose two lockers, the aft cabin to a quarterberth, and the rudder is unprotected. Allmand owners like thier boats for both cruising and sailing. One owner sold his Allmand and a few years later still has yet to fond something that has the features he is looking for in something else. I also dont think a trawler is the answer. It is not a sailboat and you all said you like to sail. I think (another opinon) that you might have to go with something like the 36 Hallberg Rassy or 36 Najad from Norway. Both good boats, but expensive. However, not as expensive as the Island Packet or Shannon. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2000

Centaur is on a distinguished road
ALLMAND 31

I think I see a trend developing here with this type of boat discussion. Mike and Jeff are performance sailors., I enjoyed your postings regarding the Express. But you are trying to influence people who have a differing interest in sailing then your own., and just because they don''t care much about the speed or light air performance they get out of these fat slow boats, thats no reason to advise them to turn their interests toward stinkpots. I love to race just as much as the next guy. Its just as much fun, in my opinion, to race a slow boat against another slow boat as it is to race a fast boat against another fast boat. Jeff and Mike have good light air and performance advice but they seem to upset the actual owners of the boats they wouldn''t consider owning.