Tiller vs. wheel - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 08-14-2007 Thread Starter

Tiller vs. wheel

I have been looking into some daysailors. Everything I've looked at has had a tiller. All sailboats I've had or sailed has had a wheel. I'm wondering if going out on a 3 hour sail with a tiller will get to be a pain after a while?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-14-2007
Poltergeist

Go with a tiller

I can't imagine why it would be a pain. "Daysailer" implies a relatively confined cockpit, and a tiller will occupy a lot less of that smaller space than a wheel and pedestal. I think that most will also agree that you'll have a better "feel" for the boat and its trim with a tiller.

It may take a day sail or two to get used to it ... I learned with a tiller, and the first time I sailed a boat with a wheel I instinctively wanted to turn the wheel in the direction I was accustomed to pushing the tiller (instead of transferring the experience of steering a car). Kept falling off when I wanted to head up and vice versa. But I'm a little slow, too. :-)

Kurt
post #3 of 35 Old 08-14-2007

No. If you don't mind steering a wheel for three hours, you won't mind steering with a tiller for three hours. IMHO, tillers are more fun, especially on smaller boats. Much better feel and immediate feedback.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-14-2007
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Having recently moved from a 28' with tiller to a 34' with wheel I can heartily recommend the tiller. Over 35-40' the tiller becomes somewhat impractical but for simplicity and feel you cannot beat them in a smaller craft.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #5 of 35 Old 08-14-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
I have a 32ft with a tiller,

At first I was disappointed as I wanted the "feel" of a bigger boat. I'm glad I got the tiller. I agree totally with poltergeist and mstern, you not only get a better feel you also gain way more space. If you really want it you can also get a reasonably priced autopilot. I have one but I find that I only use it occasionally for the longer trips (more that 4 hrs in the same direction)..

Mark
Now based in Barbados.... and wait for it.....the boat is too!

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
post #6 of 35 Old 08-14-2007 Thread Starter

Very helpful feedback!
post #7 of 35 Old 08-14-2007

At the risk of being a contrarian, I believe that it's a wash. IMHO, both the tiller and wheel allow for plenty of feel. On a 28' and now a 38' boat (and others too), I have no problem feeling rudder pressure. I don't have any problem adjusting rudder angle in anticipation of a lift or header by sensing wind variance through sound and feel. I guess that's what they call boat-feel. I grew up sailing all kinds of tiller-ed boats and I guess that by now either is just as easy. IHMO, I really believe that while in operation, a wheel actually takes much less cockpit space because the sweep of the rudder is avoided. Pierside, the tiller wins for space efficiency.

Don't worry about the tiller, you'll get used to it quickly. Don't forget - you can use your feet and legs to steer too!

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
post #8 of 35 Old 08-14-2007
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
I grew up with the tiller! I guess it is the same thing as everything else it all depends what you are comfortable with. Anyone can learn something new, everyone deserves the right to get smarter or learn another way.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-15-2007

Boats have steering wheels?!?!?!?!?!?! I have yet to sail a boat with a wheel, other than a stink pot! Not sure that that counts.

Next boat may have a wheel, but even so, I do like a tiller, even on my 29'r. IIRC< in 06 or 07, ALL but one TP52 being built had a tiller! Vs previous yrs, all but one had a wheel!

Daysailers will typically have tillers, easier to rig up and down vs trying to rig a wheel to a rudder. A tiller needs one bolt if not two for larger ones.

Marty
post #10 of 35 Old 08-15-2007

I love tillers due to the tactile response, the mechanical simplicity and the fact you can steer with your arse crack while you trim the main or handle a sheet.

Add to that the ability to put it vertical at dock or anchor and to lay out a plank with drinks and snacks across the cockpit at the very place a pedestal and wheel would go, and you've got a winner. Also, if you trim the sails properly, you can rig self-steering on a tiller with a small clamp, a sheet and some shock cord...no amps, no problem.

I have two wheels and an OPTIONAL tiller on the new boat, and the tiller will have a real role in combination with the windvane and some line and small blocks offshore, as I can bypass the hydraulic steering of the wheel set-up.

I think the break point for me is about 35 feet, but I would suggest it depends on your size, your interest in riding the coaming with an extension instead of aft, and your provision for auto piloting.

Actually, the "system" I like the best is about extinct: a small wheel mounted "backwards" where the helmsman is forward of the pedestal/binnacle.

Like this, only smaller in most old boats:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.