Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, I know the boat in the movie was based on Satori... the crew is often the weak link. There was a couple pulled off of a catamaran off of Mexico last year. The man designed the catamaran, and his boat was found floating, working as a sea bird colony, a few months later. AFAIK, it is still afloat.
I know that you know, you brought up Satori. I was just posting some links and background info for the better of the group.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
There should be some people on here with more experience on Westsails than me, come on, speak up folks! I have all of one day's sailing experience on a 32, took it out of Kona, HI. Unfortunately there wasn't much wind that day so I can attest to what others have said about light air performance- there wasn't much. On the other hand, there was an enormous amount of room down below, and it was very comfortably laid out. It was overbuilt in every aspect that I could see, obviously this contributes to it's considerable displacement, and easy motion through the water. Even though there wasn't much wind (10K or less) there was a considerable swell and I could tell a lot about the way it would handle rougher conditions. I was completely enamored with the boat at the end of the day, even though I was disappointed that I didn't get to sail it in some good winds and big rollers. I could definitely see myself crossing an ocean in one of these, although I might store some extra food and water in case it took a might longer than expected. Personally, IMHO, I think that the ability to sail fast enough to avoid heavy weather is mostly a myth in all but the fastest ocean racers(and experienced skippers), so I would rather be in a boat that can take almost anything that can be thrown at it. The Westsail 32 has endured and has a loyal following, if you are attracted to this type of boat I'd say go for it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-16-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
my primary reason is of course price and proven design, When people say slow how slow? Are we talking an extra day or two on a journey? That's not a big deal.

The story of the Satori was alsoa big seller.

i also love PSC's, Southern Cross's, and such.

I want a boat that when the weather is too ruff I can just take do what the satoris owner did and just go below and rest, knowing the boat will be fine on it's own.

I also want this eventual trip to be more of a getting off the grid getting back to an older way of life, i dont' intend to bring tons of electronics and such nor do I want the latest most advanced boat. I just want a tried true design that can handle it all.

My budget is the 40k or so for the intitial boat purchase, give or take. ..

over the next few years another 40k or so getting it ready.
Old 08-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
As far as boat speed goes, I agree that the WS32 will not win many bouy races. But I also have this anecdote: My sailing mentor sailed his Westsail 32 from California to NZ and back. The first leg was from San Diego to the Marquesas. When they arrived at Nuka Hiva, they compared passage speeds with the other boats, and discovered that they had made the fastest passage by several days. They were the smallest boat in the anchorage.

Another interesting point was that he carried no liferaft. He had faith that the boat could handle any weather. (Also, that was before EPIRBs, so even with a raft there was no certainty of rescue in the vast Pacific).

I have seen many Westsail 32s on the Chesapeake that were very well cared for.
Old 08-16-2007

another big selling point is owner pride, it seems that the majority of west sails are well maintained and cared for by the owners and i've yet to see one that is in a complete state of neglect for sale.

Last edited by AmeriCdn; 08-16-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriCdn View Post
another big selling point is owner pride, it seems that the majority of west sails are well maintained and cared for by the owners and i've yet to see one that is in a complete state of neglect for sale.
Note I said "used hard"...not "neglected". I would agree that Westsail owners love their boats and keep them quite functional. I haven't seen too many kept pretty, at least on deck, but I attribute this entirely to the fact that they are used all the time, instead of six weekends a year off the dock.
Old 08-16-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
I am an avid couch sailor and real sailor etc. I've been looking at sailboats many places and many years trying to get the $$$ and courage to come off the money and commit. I think the Westsail is a great boat.....Shannon....PSC......Hans Christian........I've sailed to British Virgin Is from Charleston,SC on Benneteau not at all impressed and dont really like the more modern vessels........ Really has to do with money available and personal choice...
Old 08-16-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
I have never sailed a Westsail. But with a PHRF over 220, that is SLOW for a 32 foot boat. For me, part of the sailing experience is a higher degree of performance than that. I do not like being passed by all manner of boats or bobbing around in light winds. Everyone has different priorities, but if it were me, in that price range I would probably be looking at a Tartan 34.
Old 08-16-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Argh, a guy in my marina just sold his Westsail (36 I think) on eBay. he got all of 32k for it. It is in great shape. If I had known, I might have bought it just to keep it from going so cheap....
Old 08-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
Argh, a guy in my marina just sold his Westsail (36 I think) on eBay. he got all of 32k for it. It is in great shape. If I had known, I might have bought it just to keep it from going so cheap....
if it was in sailing condition i woudl have dropped the money today, well if it's a 39 like i'm assuming you mean. .

Last edited by AmeriCdn; 08-16-2007 at 03:07 PM.