Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Yes, 39. Unbelievable deal this guy got. Pure dumb luck, coming thru eBay. But still.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2007

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
There is a Westsail 32 on Ebay right now, looks pretty nice.
Old 08-17-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
What about a Bristol Channel Cutter, how woudl that compare, besides being twice the price. i got word of a good one for sale. Anyone know where i can find better info than BCC owners association
Old 08-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Bristol Channel Cutters are a Lyle Hess design, similar to what the Pardeys had as their first boat. Very seaworthy little boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-17-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
With West Snails...

With "West Snails" you have to be very, very careful and thorough in your survey and your inspection of the vessel unless it was a factory finished boat. The DIY kit boats are the reason the overall value of the snails is so low. Two years ago a guy in a WS hit rocks and when they hauled it to fix the keel they found the DIY previous owner had filled the keel with a mixture of scrap metal, including aluminum, and cement! Took weeks for it to dry out enough to patch the hole in the hull.Who the heck knows what the ballast ratio really is in a scenario like that?

Furthermore, how can a survey tell what the keel was filled with? You really can't on a "kit boat". These boats were sold in all manner of kits from bare empty hull to stringer & bulkheads installed up to a fully finished factory built vessel. In the last fifteen years I can count on one had the number of well cared for WS I've seen up this way. Most I've seen are pretty trashed derelicts with rotting teak, heavily oxidized top sides and blown out rags for sails. I don't know why the owners I see of these boats don't take better care of them but for the most part, and a "generalization" many of them are ridden hard and put away wet...

Speed - Yes they are slow. I dusted one three weeks ago flying only my genny in 12 knots of wind. The WS had his entire inventory of sails flying and I still went by him doing only 5.8 to 6.1 knots like he was standing still & I was towing a dinghy, he was not. Do you buy a sailboat to get somewhere fast if not racing? I personally like a decent turn of speed but not all do or care...

My advice would be to seek out a factory finished WS instead of a kit boat, & I hope you really like to varnish...

Factory boats are good and built like tanks, kit boats are like going to Vegas. It's a crap shoot....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
AmeriCdn,

There was a recent thread about BCCs: Bristol Channel Cutter

If I was inclined to go that route, I'd choose the Cape George 31 over the BCC. Similar designs, and in fact Cape George Boatworks now owns the moulds and tooling for the BCC and smaller FCC. They're all pricey for their size, though.

Here's an example of a nice CG 31: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=74772&url=
Old 08-17-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
I'm starting to notice a bit of a trend in my preference, i guess it's more of a traditional full keel boat. . . I do also love the look of tartans from teh on-water profile, the more streemlined looking hull is really very pretty.

Can anyone tell me the primary sailing difference between a hull like that and a hull like say the westsail?

what about safety in a large storm or way out at sea?
Old 08-17-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Most full keel boats will have a shallower draft and more wetted surface area so they are a little slower (more drag) and can't point quite as high into the wind. However, they have a much more comfortable motion in heavy seas, as they have a more v shaped hull and do not pond into heavy seas. Some full keel boats are so poorly designed though, that they can't sail into the wind at all. These boats are more like motorsailers etc... Hardin Voyager, Formosa. Well designed full keel boats are usually more rugged and their rudders are better protected from grounding damage. Their props are usually less likely to snag a line, but they can't steer backwards.
Fin Keel boats have hulls shaped more like a u so they have less surface area underwater. The fin keel is usually shorter and deeper than a full keel and they are usually bolted to the hull or a keel stub. Fin Keeler's point higher into the wind and are faster but some can pound so heavily it will feel like the boat is falling apart. Their rudders are either skeg hung or mounted on a shaft through the hull with bearings. This design is the most prone to damage.
There are also modified full or fin keels like a Valiant, with a longer shorter but not full keel.
Old 08-17-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
That Cape George cutter is very clean and i wish I had 150 big ones to spend on such a vessel, Seems underpowered with 10 hp Saab. Not too excited about replacing parts or reparing Saabs either. Where and what model BCC is for sale and how much????????? wished I was sailing and not typing............maybe soon just got my re-newed 100ton sail ticket in the mail Ya hoo...................
Old 08-17-2007

ccam is on a distinguished road
AmeriCdn-

I was at the lake the other day when a big wind thunderstorm blew in. I dove off a friends fin keel Bene to help my nephew up right the 17' Hobbie Cat. As the other boats beat cheeks for the marina, we up righted the cat, adjusted sail and flew around the lake, what a ride. This is what I do when I want ‘speed and sail....simultaneously’.
Now cruising belongs to my HC33, very similar to the WestSail 32, which I think is a hell of a boat. They may not beat the Clorox bottles and “Hobbie’s for that matter” to the #4 buoy and back, but then again they are not designed to. Seakindly and safe passage makers that won’t spill many drinks or shake the paint off the top of the mast in harbor. Thumbs up on the WestSail. Just have a good survey done. IMHO
1984 HC 33T #61