Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/34-fo...QQcmdZViewItem

Check this boat out, looks right up your alley.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2008

rtwfamily is on a distinguished road
very helpful

I am investigating a westsail 32 and this thread was very helpful especially "the perfect storm" part.
Old 01-04-2013

landlockedsailer is on a distinguished road
Re: westsail 32, that bad?

"RESCUE" ya right.... in big exclamation marks.. it was a forced de-boarding .. against the captains will .. if the coast guard wasn't so full of eager beavers the Satori maybe coulda just sailed it out w/o incident ..

the Westsail looks like a solid rig to me..
Old 11-16-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
There's an excellent article in the current issue of SOUNDINGS by a guy who sailed his Westsail 32 to Bermuda in the One-Two race in June.

Wetsnail 32's are known to be a bit pokey, but very strong. They have a comfortable motion for a boat of that size, and many of them have circled the globe.

If you really like 'em, aren't concerned with getting anywhere fast, and don't care too much about resale value, go for it!

Bill
westsails have very good resale value try buying one
Old 11-17-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsailer View Post
"RESCUE" ya right.... in big exclamation marks.. it was a forced de-boarding .. against the captains will .. if the coast guard wasn't so full of eager beavers the Satori maybe coulda just sailed it out w/o incident ..

the Westsail looks like a solid rig to me..
Yes. But last post was five years ago so OP may have made up his mind by now.
Old 11-17-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

I can't resist making a comment here . Westsails are kind of slow for sure . but on the other hand they have a nice sea motion like few others. Some people say they hobby horse . I have never experienced that . What I have experienced is, in say 8-10 KNT's is a boat that heals over gets down on her lines takes off to about 6 KNT's . If that ain't love tell me what is! Ohboy and then there is down wind . I get going just a little off DDW then I sets the Drifter to the down wind side then the Yankee gets set to the windy side on the pole . I put the stay sail away and of course set the main DW, we do that all day long . So the Westsail as a choice for your boat ? What could go wrong ? Well a lot of things , none terminal . First there is a support group , Then you have the Grand PhooBahh Bailey Taplin . Mr Taplin was the GM for Westsail in the 70's . He has a web site World Cruiser Yacht co. also he will tell you how to fix your Westsail, he even sells a manual on it lots of boats for sale on that site . And of coarse we have the caped crusader that grumpy old man that man with a invoice . Bob. But then you would be buying a W39.

Last edited by Markwesti; 11-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i would rather be at sea in a slow deep keeled boat in a storm than out ina less solid boat.
so what if it is slow.
so what if the wood isnt varnished. big deal. if not neglected that only means the boat was SAILED.
look at what yu like. if you are set on it, there are no deal breakers as most everything is repairable.
have fun and good luck in your search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Mark:
I'm not always grumpy. I was not grumpy a week ago Thursday afternoon for a few minutes. But it passed. I was not grumpy while the Seahawks were winning yesterday.

Tenoch likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-18-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

now thats a beautiful boat!

I would of loved to have a westsail 32...but every time I searched they were a bit overpriced for me, sometimes just out of reputation(it happens on many boats, think contessa 26, flicka 20, hinckley 40, etc...) and sometimes they were so outfitted for cruising with new stuff by onwers that in the end changed plans and never actually went cruising and wanted too much money just for the gear package

the ones that were in my range 10k-20k had some major issues, rot, or they were unfinished interriors OR they had no masts or were basically incomplete or even just the bare hull...

I also was on a couple when cruising and they were only slow going to weather...on a reach and in trade sailing they were fine in my book...

something to take notice of is that most cruisers sail with drastically reduced sail plan, sometimes as much as 50%, and a boat like a westsail can tolerate using more sail and reef later...simply by being heavier and being able to tolerate more abuse(not in all manners)

anyways
Old 11-18-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Mark:

I hope the owner is responsible and will keep a watch when the boat is underway when that close to shore, as pictured above, Bob..

I think that an active user's group, along with whatever support is available from a designer/factory is an important consideration when selecting a boat. I have experienced two very different ends of that spectrum, when I went from my Catalina 30 (6,000 built, strong user's group, factory still in business) to my present CS 36 Merlin (< 100 built, weak user's group).

I really miss having the backup I had on the Catalina. Whenever I was puzzling about something, you could bet that someone had figured it out before me)

I would say, however, that my boat's designer, Tony Castro, has been quick and helpful in response to my occasional pestering.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown