Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Live aboard dream boat

Since it is raining and I am not sailing today thought I would start this thread.

Within the next year and a half my wife and I are breaking away from land once again and moving to San Diego to liveaboard . (yes I am on a live aboard list).

I am looking at these boats:

Cheoy Lee Golden Wave 42 (The Nautor Swan look alike)

Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

Valiant 40

Ericson 38 or 380 200 (Great performance boat but no protected rudder.)

Tayana 37

Islander Freeport 36

Can you tell I like Robert Perry designs :-)

What can you tell me good and bad about these choices. I know there are a lot so pick ( hopefully you all don't pick the Valiant) the one you know most about and/or have sailed or been aboard. Also if you have a another boat in mind let me know so I can add it to the list.

I really want a good light wind sailor as well as one that can handel a good blow if needed. I want room to live aboard as well of course. We will not do extensive cruising for the first few years except for the Baja HA HA, but I still want a bluewater capable boat so I do not have to sell when we want to go for it and crusie to New Zeland or where ever.

budget will be 70k-120k.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2007

cody1000 is on a distinguished road
what about an islander freeport 41 ketch? mine is for sale and certainly fits in your needs for a boat. its in ventura, ca. let me know if you have any interest. jim cody 805-643-2639
Old 08-19-2007

I forgot about that one It is on the list. I saw it on yachtworld, nice boat, however not sure if it would be that great in light air with that full keel. Great for livaboard though I know wife would like it.
Old 08-20-2007
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
watch out..

Zaldog...the 44 peterson should be on your list. Jeff H, a respected member and experienced sailor named the boat as the best in the 100K range, which is in your stated budget. Stay away from the cheoy lees with reputations of inadequate steel, teak deck nightmares, (both problems may end up putting you well above your desired budget), and general workmanship that is below that of other asian boats like Tayana and Peterson.
Be interested to know what you decide.
Old 08-20-2007

Thanks I wlll add the Peterson 44 and try to find some on Yacht world not familiar with that boat.

In terms of the Cheoy Lee's are they all like you described or just certain ones? Anyone? I was under the impression they where very well built very interesting was not aware of the steel issue.
Old 08-23-2007
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
I have no personal experience with the cheoy lee to the extent of your question...you'll have to rely on others to give you more detailed information.

Last edited by stiffwind; 08-23-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correct word phrase
Old 08-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zal...when you say liveaboard...do you mean at a dock or out cruising and if the latter are you talking long distance or Baja/Mexico type runs?
If at the dock..I would avoid the Perry double enders...if at sea...they are great if "cozy" for their respective size.
If for Sandiego/Baha, I would be looking at the nicer coastal cruisers with a lot of interior space and better light air performance.
Old 08-24-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Just watch those Tiawanese double enders. I've got one, a Union 36, and still like it, but watch the TANKS!!!! and the leaking teak decks.
Look long and hard at what is in the deck core too. Beware also the quality of the internal ply. Mine is not really water proof, or even near so.
They are reasonable ships, with good gear, classy lines, but they can surprise you with the most shocking build short-cuts imaginable.
Someone welded my stainless tanks with wire welding rods. Can you imagine fixing that one? I had to do more than imagine it.
Check the stern tube bedding material too. I would have strangled the yard foreman if he'd been around, 15 years later.
Be careful.
Find a good one.
I suspect you'll like it if you do.

I once looked at a DownEaster 38, and liked the build quailty. Not as pretty, but you can't have everything.
Old 08-24-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget the Southern Cross 39.....an excellent boat for your needs. Stay away from teak decks.......they mean LOTS of work and $!
Old 08-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Zal-

Cam has a very good point... what is your intended usage. That will really affect what kind of boat you should probably get, as he has pointed out.

If you're living aboard at the dock primarily... it might even make sense to get a smaller, more modern boat, as it would have as much room or more as the traditional double enders you're looking at, yet cost you less in dock fees. Pick the right one, and it'll still be capable of doing serious long-distance coastal cruising and limited bluewater passages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.