SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   36 (ish) Racer / Cruiser (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/36169-36-ish-racer-cruiser.html)

craigtoo 08-18-2007 08:46 PM

36 (ish) Racer / Cruiser

Hello,

Thanks for the great info here...Been scouring the old posts for a while and I think it's time for my first post...

Little about me:
I've been sailing for 30 of my 34 years. I grew up on Long Island and Dad built a 24 foot Bruce Roberts design in 1977. That boat still races (with my father at the helm) every Wednesday night on the Magothy River in MD. (Go Serenity!)

Grew up racing around the cans, went to college, raced 420s...Parents part owned / managed a marina for a while which was where I worked in college.

As a kid, we would have the family cruises in the summer (that's right 3 kids, mom and dad, crammed into a 24 foot boat sailing up the Hudson, or the Connecticut river...woah...), and every season we raced. Wednesdays and Sundays. All that was on the LI Sound. (Smithtown Bay!!!!)

So my sailing experience can be summed up as follows:
Raced (Wed night) alot from dinghy's to crewing on boats in the low 30 ft range.
The occasional Charter of a 42 Morgan in FL - all around the Keys.
Sailing around LI. (ALIR!!!! or just for fun...)
Limited Blue water experience...(very limited)

Now it's time to buy my own sailboat.

The boat will be located in a slip around Annapolis. My job affords me the opportunity to be home for 1 or 2 weeks every 2 months or so. I live in SC, but I'd like my second home to be in MD. Now, although my sister and her family and my parents all live in the area, I want a place to call my own....and I want it to be a sailboat. So, this boat will have to be comfortable enough for me to stay on for max. 2 weeks in a stretch. (but usually max 4 nights). I'm a single guy btw. Mechanical Engineer...

Ok...

Here is the process I'm using to make my decision as to which boat to buy.

MUST HAVES: (in order of priority)

1) Meet Budget: (Anything over $50k eats into the 20% repair/toys fund.)
2) Maximum 38 ft. Minimum 30 ft:
3) High Quality Hull Construction: (I don't ever want to sweat the big stuff)
4) Comfortable / Neat Below: (Certainly not extravagant but I'd like to bring a girl to visit every now and again and don't really want her sitting on a sail bag .. ok?)
4) Sex Appeal

Ok, number 4 needs an explanation. "Beauty...Beholder..." yadda yadda

Sexy = ESSE 850. That is the hottest boat. Holy Crap. Now... yes, I agree, it is absolutely impractical for what I want... but if we're just talking sexy... ESSE 850 wins. Volvo boats, AC boats (mono hull) all pretty hot. ok, you get it. The ESSE 850 won't make the list of boats that I would consider buying... it's the perfect 2nd sailboat. heh... Oh -with no offense to many out there- traditional double ended Canoe'ish' things are out. (Again, no offense. The boat that I'm looking for now will be for sale in about 3-6 years and I'll be buying one of those beautiful trad. boats like a Tayana or HC... you know it, so do I... this is all part of growing up, let's just move on...)

Here is a list of

NICE TO HAVES:

4) Fast (for weekend cruising near the coast or occasionaly around the cans)

5) Blue Water Proven (Yes, this could go against number 4, I understand)

6) Ability for Singlehanded sailing (which could be more of how I set it up)

All that being said.. here's a list of boats I'm looking at and I'd love for more input from any of you. (These are in no particular order)

J Boats 34C
Sabre 34
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Wauquiez Hood 38
C & C 36
CS 36T
Niagara 35
Morgan 382
Tartan 37

Also, can anyone recommend a good Broker for the Annapolis area? There are too many to choose from.

Thanks for your time, and any input.

All the best,
Craig

AlpineSailor 08-18-2007 09:00 PM

Add Express 35 to your list

craigtoo 08-18-2007 09:03 PM

Thanks... I can't believe I forgot that one! That's a great looking boat. I'll have to research it a bit more.

craig

sanctuarysam 08-18-2007 09:03 PM

nice boat choices, the tartan, c&c, & niagara were on my short list. my sis has a sabre 34, and it is a great boat.
i looked at lots of these, especially the tartans, and the 50k budget will get you a pretty rough 37 (i say this from a "bringing a girl aboard perspective" most are late 70's vintage and really dark down below.
i met a good broker in oxford, and have the name of one i'd avoid like the plague in nappytown..so pm me and i'll tell ya what i know (which isn't all that much really)
sam
what part of the palmetto state are you in?

AlpineSailor 08-18-2007 09:08 PM

I forgot to add Schock 35 also, more of a racer maybe but could cruise too.

craigtoo 08-18-2007 09:09 PM

Hey Sam!

I'm in Anderson, SC. *way* too far from water.

The $50k budget has some room. Thanks for the input on the Tartans.

That's why I need to get with a Broker so I can really get the feel for these boats.

(Once I get work my way up to 10 posts, I'll PM you.. right now I'm still restricted...)

craigtoo 08-18-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineSailor (Post 181621)
I forgot to add Schock 35 also, more of a racer maybe but could cruise too.

This one's new to me... thanks,
craig

sailingfool 08-19-2007 10:01 AM

As a CS36T owner I highly recommend the boat relative to all your decision points.
With a PHRF of 123, I beleive she is the fastest of the boats on your list except the J.

I quuestion whether the J and C&C are close to offshore boats.

As to sex appeal and down-below, that's in the eye of the beholder, but take a look a the CS and see what your eyes tell you.

As to offshore capabilities, the PO of my CS took the boat Boston-Bermuda as a shake-down cruise, following which he and his wife spent five years cruising the islands and Latin America, with numerous offshore trips from New England to points way south.

While you are generally wise to have a repair budget, don't assume there is anything magic about 20%. It all depends on how the PO maintains the boat, if the boat is starved in terms of the expensive repairs/refits for 10 years, 20% can esily become 50% or more. The opposite example might be my boat, where there is nothing left to refit or repair (including mast and all rigging) other then perhaps a new sail. See http://usedboats.com/index.php? site...&boatId=655232 for what can go into fully refitting an older boat, to the tune of over 100% of the purchase price.

craigtoo 08-19-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 181724)
As a CS36T owner I highly recommend the boat relative to all your decision points.
With a PHRF of 123, I beleive she is the fastest of the boats on your list except the J.

I quuestion whether the J and C&C are close to offshore boats.

As to sex appeal and down-below, that's in the eye of the beholder, but take a look a the CS and see what your eyes tell you.

As to offshore capabilities, the PO of my CS took the boat Boston-Bermuda as a shake-down cruise, following which he and his wife spent five years cruising the islands and Latin America, with numerous offshore trips from New England to points way south.

While you are generally wise to have a repair budget, don't assume there is anything magic about 20%. It all depends on how the PO maintains the boat, if the boat is starved in terms of the expensive repairs/refits for 10 years, 20% can esily become 50% or more. The opposite example might be my boat, where there is nothing left to refit or repair (including mast and all rigging) other then perhaps a new sail.

Thanks for the great info. I really liked the looks of the CS's the problem is availability...But I'm willing to wait.

Totally agree about the C&C and J being the least Oceangoing of the bunch.

I'm going to rank these and start eliminating them one by one.

Yeah, the "20% repair budget" is just a starting point. I just picked it out of the air - Given my income, and cash on hand. Every boat will have a different plan really.

I'll check out your links... again thanks,
craig

Gary M 08-19-2007 11:16 AM

I just checked on YachtWorld and there is a decent and surprisingly cheap CS36 in Jamestown for sale. You might want to look at it. The CS36 and the Niagara are a couple of my favourite boats but I would likely take the CS because of the better performace. They were both very well built and you can find quite a few on the Great Lakes since that is where they were built.

Fresh water is a wondefull thing and transportation is not really all that much.

The Niagars's were built as cruisers and the original layout was oriented that way. Smaller compartments with the head and galley aft. That layout would work very well for passage making but since their main market was the Lakes they came out with a second interior which is more open.

Good Luck
Gary