Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Trailerable pocket cruiser with standing headroom...

By "trailerable" I don't mean like my Siren which I tow to the launch, rig, and launch every weekend with very little fuss. I mean something that can be put in the water in the spring by me, and removed a couple times a year for trips elsewhere, say to Florida, my grandmother has a condo in St. Augustine, and one in Turtle Cay, I would like to be able to sail between these two points, and anywhere on Lake Erie and Ontario.

So I guess I'm looking for something with a decent keel but not a deep one, standing headroom, 25-27 feet, and under 8000lbs. Cape Dory 25D? Any similar to that? MUST have standing headroom (I'm 5'11) My budget will not be much, say $10,000 and under. Not buying right now, just trying to narrow down the choices for my 2nd boat. Maybe as soon as next year, maybe a few years from now. I'm 33 years old and we are just now trying to start a family, so a safe roomy boat that doesn't cost a lot is a priority.

A fixer-upper is ok, I'm a mechanic so if it's broke, I can fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.

Last edited by eMKay; 08-19-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2007
US27 Live-aboard

wabisabi is on a distinguished road
Check out the US Yachts 27 - for a 27 it has great interior room, sails quite well too...6000lb, Made in early 80s, Mine is constructed suprisingly well...you should be able to find one for under 10k - probably under 8k...
Old 08-19-2007
US27 Live-aboard

wabisabi is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeah... forgot to mention, 6ft headroom
Old 08-19-2007

There is one at RCR yachts here in Buffalo, I was just there an hour ago but that was before reading your post. It has a really deep draft though 5' 2". (edit) Oh, wait, I see they make 2 versions, one with a 3'6" shoal keel. That might work, I think I'll go poke around that one near me. It's only 3 miles away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eMKay; 08-19-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Look for a Westerly Pageant. 23ft LOA, 8ft beam, twin keels with apx 2.8ft draft, very sturdy construction, about 4300lbs and 6ft of headroom.

Old 08-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
many of the smaller westerly designs would fit the bill...but aren't particularly trailerable imho.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
many of the smaller westerly designs would fit the bill...but aren't particularly trailerable imho.
I think the Pageant and Nomad are very trailerable.

(The fin keel models like the Cirrus would be problematic.)
Old 08-23-2007

I think I have found an ideal type of boat, it's a pearson 27, this is what I had in mind. A boat that can be trailered, has a shower, and a huge open and airy interior. But how would this boat handle a cruise from Florida to the Bahamas? (may be only ever done once or twice) Or a cruise across lake Ontario? (this would be done once a year). Only problem is it's a recent design and still very expensive. Are there any older boats with a similar design?

I love the interior but it seems lightly built. But perhaps I have to get a lightly built boat for now if I want to trailer it and forget ocean cruising. I'm not at the stage in my life where I want a boat that is not transportable, maybe when I retire I'll be ready for a REAL yacht.

Last edited by eMKay; 08-23-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mike-

A Pearson 27 isn't really a trailerable boat IMHO. The boat could be stored on a trailer, but it would require a travellift or crane to launch it or haul it out of the water.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-23-2007

davideureka is on a distinguished road
oday s are good trailer boats