Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Capable

Myself and my wife are about to purchase a liveaboard...actually it wil be 80% liveaboard as we will maintain a small landlocked residence for a variety of reasons. I have just about settled on a 2007 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39DS as it had great reviews. lots of space for marina time, looks great funtional, sails well and the price is right. Many have stated it is more than capable of a Bahamas/Keys trip but not about Blue Water.

We would like to plan a some blue water in terms of crossing and just wondering from the experienced blue water sailors if they would be comfortable (ie SAFE) in this boat. I realize alot of safety involves comepetenvy, common sence etc but I would like to isolate opinions to this particualr boat. Im also aware of many better options for blue water sailing but again I would like to keep it specific to the Jeanneau.

Thanks so much again..ANY opinions on boat options etc available to address this factor would also be welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sab30...Imho...this boat would be a nice liveaboard and coastal cruiser but I would not characterize it as a bluewater boat as it really isn't designed for that. I don't think it will fall apart in a storm or anything...but it is going to be a uncomfortable ride and think the long spade rudder, shallow bilge and minimal tankage as well as the broad sled like design of the hull is more designed for other purposes. I also think double wheels on a cruising boat is not a great idea. I think the J49 is better suited for the open ocean but it is a lot bigger and more expensive boat.
Old 08-25-2007

Hi cam,

Thanks again for your help and now that have been on several charters (including the keys which you information was priceless - thanks again) we have begun to look at ..at least the parameters we would like. The main reason for the Jeanneau was the deck salon version for more height. At 6"2 not a thing to mess with. The island Packet style doesnt really appeal to me but would like something in the 36-40 ft range with good headroom ..maybe a centre cockpit of some style. I am looking for year 2000 or newer so maybe that could help you narrow down some suggestions that may help me.

Any thoughts on a sabre 386 for the above mentioned as well as seldom blue water.

Thanks again,

Shane
Old 08-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
sab30...Now yer talking! Beautiful, well made boat that can take anything. I would still say that it is designed primarily for coastal work and speed under sail but would not hesitate to take her offshore on passage as she is built to a high standard. While the hull design is not my preference for such work, (spade rudder, beam extended aft), there are advantages in speed and living accommodations that may offset a bit rougher ride and rudder loss risk on the occasional offshore passage.
Of course...even the used 386's are only a couple of years old and fetching near $300k ...so this is not an inexpensive 38 footer. You could buy a lot of trips on Dockwise across the pond in a less expensive boat! But ultimately that is your business.
I have long been a CC fan but cannot suggest one in the 35-40' range that is bluewater capable and newer than year 2000 outside of some of the premium Euro builders...Halberg Rassey/ Contest/Najad and they are all quite pricey these days. A Moody 44 might also be worth a look if you would consider stepping up in size a bit.
Anyway...hope the above is a bit helpful to you. I am 6'4" so I understand your dilemma!
Old 08-27-2007

Sabre 386 vs Tartan 37

As always..thanks

I was confused about the "rudder loss" ?? Not sure if I follow..

Do you or anyone else have any opinions comparing to the Tartan 37 which appears to be slightly cheaper. Or any other critiques of the Sabre 386?

-sab
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The spade rudder is supported only by the rudder stock, and if hit by floating objects, is far more vulernable to damage and possible loss than a skeg-mounted or keel-attached rudder, which would protect the actual rudder from impact with the floating object in most cases. Also, if the rudder stock suffers from any galvanic corrosion issues, it may be lost with little warning, as happened, or so it appears to one Sailnet user on his boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2007

Caliber 40

Hey guys whats your thoughts on the Caliber 40..as one other poster suggested it may be the best boat for my needs.

Any opinions of her???
Old 08-28-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab30 View Post
Hey guys whats your thoughts on the Caliber 40..as one other poster suggested it may be the best boat for my needs.

Any opinions of her???
Considering I am still taking out club boats I have no authority except to say a Caliber or H&R is what I am going to buy, no doubt in my mind. I have the same purpose, some coastal down around Baja and some passage out to Hawaii and off the Galapagos. I really like the Caliber 40LRC.
Old 08-28-2007
moderate?

The Caliber40LRC is an excellent blue water capable cruising boat. Fit and finish are not to as high a standard as some of the much more expensive boats but it is certainly decently finished and tankange, design and systems are all well thought out with live aboard cruising in mind. Sailing performance suffers somewhat in this regard but it is not a slug like heavier displacement boats.
Old 08-29-2007

maru657 is on a distinguished road
On the east coast you might consider a Bristol 40. They are well built and blue water capable. There mostly older boats but were built with heavier hulls since the price of petroleum products hadn't precluded thicker hulls at that time.