Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Prices

With the current market conditions do you think Sailboat prices will drop or hold value? I am unsure because I think more people might give up power boating and start sailing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Drop... except for some which will hold there value. Lots of toys will have to go.

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-26-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
I think jef is right. At least part of me hopes so. We will be in the market to purchase a sailboat soon.

I do believe many people will sell their toys over the next year. Between not enough money to fix, keep, store and use.

I am making the move from power boating to sailing, partially due to the fuel prices. Can't see having a pb with a 200 or more gallon tank anymore. Our pb has 65 gallons, so at least $150 at the pump. 13gph (35 mph) to 18gph (45 wot). Even at 35mph that's only about 4 hours riding time with a safety margin of fuel left.

The other (Main) reason we are making the switch is: I have realized a sailboat is the destination. Where a pb is just a means to a destination.

It would take one heck of a pb to due some cruising. 35 foot pb would get you a bedroom, a galley and the rest would be fuel tank.
Old 08-26-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what you mean by sailboat prices. Generally for things other than real estate and rare items, values drop with age. Boats are more like cars... or actually mobile homes and the value for a specific one will drop with time unless extensive modifications are made but these are generally valued well under 50% of cost of improvements.

Sailboat values will also depend on the Local market more than the international market. Locations where supplies are high, generally cause boat values to decrease faster. Locations where supplies are moderate, prices generally are more stable. Unfortunately where supplies are limited... while you may expect them to increase... it just doesn't typically happen... they go down and days on market generally expands.

I agree boat are "toys" and about the only way they hold their value or at least slow the depreciation, is when you find another "child like creature" with the same interest and appreciation. Fortunately you can often find these creatures around active boating locations and I have been told some even may be located on forums on the internet... but I would not know anything about "those folk". :^P
Old 08-26-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Assuming the market to which yhou are referring is the stock market, it's a big stretch to assume a direct correlation with boat prices. Even if there was such a correlation, it has never been demonstrated historically either by prices increasing or decreasing at the market rate. Buying a boat is purely a lifestyle choice which requires buying a depreciating asset and that will never change regardless of the market.
Old 08-26-2007

I am speaking of good name brand sailboats such as PS,IP,Valiant,etc. I think prices will hold due to high demand from people coming from power boat market. Quality always holds value!
Old 08-26-2007

I contacted an Island Packet dealer because I was interested in selling my boat and asked them how much I should ask. After they inspected my boat they said demand was high and suggested a price 20% more then I paid in 2002. I was surprised.
Old 08-26-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
320 - asking price and selling price, seldom coincide. As with anything used, it's only as valuable as someone is willing to percieve it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2007

The 20% more were the sold comp's PB.
Old 08-26-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Well, if you want an IP then they should be happy to take the trade at a fair price. Many brokers, real estate, car, boat, etc. start high to get the listing. After a few months on the market, and again not that long in todays real estate and boat market, they suggest dropping the price. Getting closer to reality all the time.

Now, you may have made a great purchase on your PB and the price is fair. Try the trade idea and see where that gets you.

I agree with others, boats and stock market are seperate exept for those folks on margin and irrationally exhuberant. Those people are out there in every market, but I do not believe they will sway the entire boat market. Boats are a depreciating asset unless you buy one that is already depreciated. However, you will probably put a bunch of money into it that you will not get back. Ain't it grand!

Good Luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.