Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Does my boat exist?

After several charters, a lot of instruction and tons of reading I have narrowed down the parameters for my boat. I am ready to select one or two and test sail, the problem is so many choices that I thought I would list what I want and let the experienced veterans tell me what they feel would be the closest fit.....

Budget - $200,000
LOA - 37-39 ft
Year - 2004 or newer
80-90% coastal 10-20% blue water (for transit)
Modern design
Roller furling main

In order of priority:

Comfort - **Note I am 6'2 as well lots of marina and coastal time so cockpit and salon need to be roomy

Safety - I want to be confident that my boat can make a bluewater run without obscene capsize factors, things falling apart, and an uncomfortable ride.

Speed - I still like the challenge of getting top speed out of a boat.

I am not a fan of Hunter and Catalina so they are out..I have looked at a 2004 Sabre 386 great looking boat and from what I understand more than Blue water capable but a little out the price range (about 275-300k) and I would prefer roller main. I have been eyeing the 39' Jeanneau Deck Salon but my only hesitation is its blue water capability and unfamiliarity with twin helm setup.

Is there another alternative or is this as close as I can get to the criteria listed above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Caliber 40 may cover many of your wants.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Jenneau is probably in the same general category with catalina and Hunter in terms of production techniques and quality. Frankly, from your description, it doesn't sound like you need a truely blue-water capable boat which may be just as well given the age and price range you're in. There are numerous other manufacturers which others here will hopefully suggest but you might want to clarify your original post which doesn't sound like you want much more than a garden variety coastal boat.
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem is that the boats that have roomy cockpits and salons are generally pretty poor bluewater boats... You're going to have to make a compromise for emphasis of one over the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Is there another alternative or is this as close as I can get to the criteria listed above?
Me - I'd take 75K and buy a nice older boat with a strong hull and then spend 125K on a serious refit. You'll end up with a better boat.
Old 08-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
the only problem with that, especially for a first-time buyer, is that if the vision he has doesn't meet expectations, he's going to end up with a $200k investment in a $75K boat so be sure you plan to keep it for years.
Old 08-28-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Well, I would look at Dehler 36 or 39, X-37, and a Finngulf 37. The 2008 models may be over your budget with the current exchange, but they will meet your criteria if you can go above $200k. They are slightly more sporty than the Sabre, but all 'blue water' capable, say NE to Bermuda.

You also can look for a used one. There was a 2001 Dehler 36 for sale here in RI; which we viewed, the boat was in like-new condition, I would check with Jeff at www.dehler.us. I have sailed the Dehler 36 and really like the boat, they have positive race records in Europe, and are also comfortable to cruise on, the ergonomics are great and it balances well with a neutral helm, we ultimately purchased a 1997 Dehler 33, which we enjoy. I have viewed the X and Finngulf at the dock and have been impressed with them as well, there are not many used in the US though.

If you want something more cruise oriented, you could consider a used Tartan 3700; although there is a post discussion about build problems with some hulls that I would read first. Regardless, i would prefer a fractional rig boat with a big main for power and a small healdsail, if I recall correctly, the Tartan is a masthead rig with a smaller type main needing a larger genoa setup.

I agree, the Jenneau build quality is similar, or less than, the Bene and Catalina. I think the three boat above have better performance qualities than the Bene Hunter Catalina Jenneau crowd, but similar comfort.
Old 08-29-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've got a Jeanneau 43DS and remain happy with it. The headroom in the DS models is great and the cabin is very bright and seems even more spacious due to all the glass and height. I've yet to have a roller-furling issue with main and sail singlehanded almost exclusively.

Old 08-29-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the idea of getting a slightly older boat cheaper and doing a refit. Most likely you'll have to do the RF main as these are still pretty new and not offered on many boats and ARE usually after market features.

My Contest36s is no longer made, but it has very good headroom because of the raised flush deck and higher freeboard. It also has a huge comfy aft cockpit with a comfortable boarding ladder on the transom which is very dry when beating. It has a bridgedeck with a traveler in the cockpit which is both good and bad.

If you can find one you might consider this boat and put 50-60K into it. It was rated by Yachting World as #15 if the 100 best modern boats. I think that says a lot.

jef
sv shiva
Old 09-02-2007

kekkul is on a distinguished road
Dehler is complicated boat and not so confortable.
1991 38 Westerly Oceanranger
2004 Bavaria 38
2001 Moody Center Cockpit Sloop

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.