Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

While it''s a very open ended question, I still like the original intent. Sure, he''s going to need some solid education and all that, but let''s look at the BOAT.

Think about it, you''re 4 years off from retiring and you''ve been dreaming of going off into the sunset. Let''s honor the dream for a moment and give him some boats that he can search for in the back of Cruising World and on Traderonline without getting too bound with details.

Singlehanding around the world. While I won''t ever do it...what boat would I want if I were to make the jump?

Not too big, 30-35 feet maybe. Full keel. Used, as I''m would be retiring. Double ender perhaps? Cutter rig? I''m thinking a Leigh 30 would fit the bill. How about a Southern Cross 28? Or an Island Packet 29 (not a double-ender, but a nice boat).

I know... a Hans Christian 33, now there''s a heavy displacement, double-ending cutter that one could take out to the deep blue.

Other suggestions? Jeff?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

bnoble,
How much you looking to spend?

Dennis L.
Old 03-26-2002

bnoble is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

Thank you all for your help. As far as what I plan to spend to make my dream come true, I donít feel 60K would be out of line for a home with a keel. Now that I have some advice on schools, I may change my vacation plans.
Thanks again
Old 03-27-2002

mpin422 is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

Valdare,

Your responce is exactly how I feel. I took my basic keel course passed with flying colors but only sailed about 2 times I tried to crew for races , but all you get good at is cranking a winch, and I would like to leisure cruise at the moment... but because I did not have boat or knew someone who did my sailing was non existent. . I''m how ever giving up my other pride and joy ( a 98'' Harley Davidson) and will take the plunge. After carefull reasearch I have come to the conclusion that a used boat, for the first boat is the best way to start. With any luck the Pearson 31 I''m looking at will mine to get experiance on.

I''m hoping to do just as you did , learn by doing ,and in a few years I will buy that 46 footerof my dreams and cruise the coastline and islands.
Old 03-27-2002

ldcarpet is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

My husband and I are starting the process of selecting a crusing boat. We have been looking at a Catalina 36. It has a great layout, except the placement of the galley at the foot of the companionway is a bit scary. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this subject.
Old 03-27-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

I first started with lessons, then bought a small Beneteau...after two seasons I realized it was too small. Then a divorce which "liquidated" the boat. As retirement approached (then 5 years, now 3 out) I said I''m only here (on earth) once that I know of so I bought a classic Tartan for cruising. It was the best decision of my life. Like those above said, don''t wait too long.

Just as you learn a little, you learn there is a lot more to learn about boats and the sea. Once you commit to the lifestyle you become very hungry to learn.

LDCarpet...most galleys are near the companionway. Figure out just where you want to cruise and look at some classic plastic with relatively simple systems and a hull/rig design that meets those needs. Be patient and you''ll find a boat that''s right.
Old 03-28-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

I personally like the Galley being at the foot of the companionway. If I''m cooking I can just pass the food up to the helm. If I''m single-handed, or my crew (family) is asleep, I can hop down and grab something from the fridge or pour some coffee without being far from the helm. Also, the heat and moisture from the stove vents right on out of the boat. I wouldn''t have it any other way.

Now, I did have a Rhodes once, where the companionway was RIGHT in the middle of the galley (icebox and sink on the left, companionway in the center and prep surface and stove on the right, looking aft). That was a pain.

Off to the boat for a week''s cruise to St.Augustine...

don