Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
tartangreek,
Since you asked and I own a Nauticat 33, I'll provide some of my opinions on these wonderful boats - as biased as they may be.

The program for your next boat sounds similar to the one me and my wife developed four years ago - before purchasing True Blue, our 1986 Nauticat 33. Although, it's no secret around here lately that due to my wife's fear of heeling, when the wind kicks up over 15-18 knots, I typically end up easing the sheets when she's aboard, or motoring to destinations more than I'd like. She's Ok with light to moderate wind sailing though.

Regardless, the sailing performance of some Nauticat models, has been stated to be among the best of any production "motorsailer" on the market. They're also well known as being the best-built motorsailers in the world - "The quintessential 50/50 motorsailer".

It is important to note however, that the tall-rig, modified fin-keel version, with a skeg-hung rudder, sails much faster than the shorter rig, full keel model. If sail performance is important to you and your wife, the deeper draft model is a must (what I have). Currently, there is only one tall-rig listed on yachtworld that I know of - a 1985 in Seattle selling for, I believe - $169 k - still under your $200k budget. You'll find various other shoal draft models, listed for just under $100 k.

On occasion, I get rare opportunities to see just how well my boat can sail in higher winds - like this past week and weekend for instance, since my wife left for NC for 2 weeks earlier this week. Before I join her late next week, I'm getting in as much solo-sailing as possible.

This morning, I sailed close to hull speed, broad reaching in 15-20 kts true wind. This may not seem fast to most monohull sailors here, but considering it's a 9 ton 33 ft ketch, with a beefy displacement/length ratio of 349, and designed specifically to motorsail, I think that's pretty impressive. Equally impressive is the vast amount of interior volume, plenty of storage, 140 gal water tank and good range under power with 160 gals of diesel split in 2 tanks.

I won't take up much space here by describing the countless amenities, build quality and many interior layout variations available, nor do I have much time since I just stopped home for some provisions and I'm about to head back down to the boat for the night. But, I urge you to become better educated with Nauticats by checking out the various online Nauticat resourses. I could post some links later if you'd like to learn more.

Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Incidently . . . I negected to mention that my NC33 with it's SP90 turbo diesel, can motor at an 8 - 8.5 kt cruise - 9 - 9.5 kts at a higher rpm (not fuel efficient at that speed - but sure handy when running away from an oncoming storm).

Motorsailing of course is more fuel efficient, when the boat's apparent wind becomes much greater than prevailing light winds.
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Incidently . . . I negected to mention that my NC33 with it's SP90 turbo diesel, can motor at an 8 - 8.5 kt cruise - 9 - 9.5 kts at a higher rpm (not fuel efficient at that speed - but sure handy when running away from an oncoming storm).

Motorsailing of course is more fuel efficient, when the boat's apparent wind becomes much greater than prevailing light winds.
Just curious, but I thought hull speed on the Nauticat 33/331 was about 7.1 knots... how are you moving at 9.5 knots???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

SD, The Turbo Diesel and 22" three bladed prop enables NC33s to exceed hull speed, but as I said - inefficiently. The stern squats down somewhat at that speed and she burns fuel.

8 to 8.5 kts however, is a comfortable and effiecent cruise speed (under power - not sail of course).

Coming back from Edgartown last year, we had a following sea and running with currents. We motorsailed at 10.2 kts (GPS SOG) for a few miles.
Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

As you can see . . . I decided to abort my evening sail - 30 kt gusts . . . I don't trust my instincts solo-sailing in that. Besides, client meeting in the morning.
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How bad is the fuel efficiency at that speed (9-9.5 knts.)??? Also curious, how fast does she go under sail??? I've been up to 15 knots on my boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

I clocked 6.8 kts today in 18 kts true wind (mizzen, main & 150 Genoa) . . . a slug by your standards SD - not going to debate that. Giu would also have a laugh over that claim - with his 44 reaching 12.5 kts.

We're not comparing apples to apples.
Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

BTW - burn rate at 8.5 kts is 2.67 gal hour at cruise . . . 800 nm range with 160 gal capacity. (could be off a few decimals - too lazy to do the math outrside of my head)

EDIT - that's motoring only at 8.5 kts - motorsailing is WAY less . . . pure sailing of course - NADA

Last edited by TrueBlue; 09-03-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I clocked 6.8 kts today in 18 kts true wind (mizzen, main & 150 Genoa) . . . a slug by your standards SD - not going to debate that. Giu would also have a laugh over that claim - with his 44 reaching 12.5 kts.

We're not comparing apples to apples.
Very true... I was just curious. Your boat has significantly more tankage than mine does... also weighs a lot more. Pretty enough boat for a monohull though.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-03-2007
Señor Member

Thanks SD - eyes of the beholder, just as well. She sold me when I first set eyes upon her . . . actually knocked me off my feet!