Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007

tartangreek is on a distinguished road
Smile Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type?

My wife and I are in our 50's. We sail in the Puget Sound, (San Juan Island, Gulf Isands,etc). We still both work so we are limited to long week ends, and vacations for our trips. We have had extensive boating experience in sail and power boats under 30 feet.

Our greatest joy in boating is to sail to a secluded cove, drop anchor, spend the a night or two, go ashore and explore new places with our two toy aussie dogs. We eschew hotels and marinas. Interior accomodations are very important (privacy for two couples) and because of the weather an enclosed pilot house is a necessity.

We are seriously looking at the Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type boat. We cannot spend more than $200,000 all in so we know we are looking at old and used. We have read or received advice that motor sailers are the worst of both worlds, yet I have heard the aformentioned Nauticats or similar can sail satisfactorily. My wife and I don't want to be sad that we bought a boat that won't satisfactorily sail when the wind his blowing 12kts +. Yet when the wind drops we need to be able to make our home port in a timely fashion.

I have read many posts, but still don't have a good grasp of the answer (s).

Any advice about the Nauticats or other brands?

I joined Sailnet 9/02/07 because I was told your group actually has experience and has informed opinions. I would appreciate any and all advice. I want to get back on the water!

Signed:
Tartan Greek (the name of our next boat, I'm Greek, my wife Scottish.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Tartan Greek,
You've got good taste... You'll probably have to wait a couple of days to hear from the two Nauticat owners (that I know of) on this forum, as they're probably on them through the holiday weekend. Both are NC33s, and both based in New England. Gorgeous boats, aren't they?
Old 09-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TrueBlue and ChristyLeigh both own nauticats 33' boats... IIRC, one has the 33 and the other the 331.

They should be along any moment...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-02-2007

tartangreek is on a distinguished road
clarification Tartan Greek

Hi Sailingdog!

Are there any boats besides the Nauticat brand that I should consider? I anxiously await the responses of the two nauticat owers as well!

Tartan Greek
Old 09-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, you're looking for a boat:

with forward and aft cabins,
that has a pilothouse
sails well
is a motorsailer

and is below $200,000 in price.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-03-2007
Old Navy

TOMINDC2 is on a distinguished road
Dear TartanGreek,

From what I hear, Nauticat’s are fine, somewhat overbuilt boats (part of the reason they cost so much). Great in a North Sea blow. Most folks buy them for the creature comfort or sailing in chilly regions. I highly recommend that you bareboat charter one before buying to judge the sailing for yourself. All boats are a compromise –the trick is getting the most of what you want with the least that you do not want.

Another type boat altogether that has good creature comfort and protection from weather is a catamaran? Because they sail on the water rather than in it, you have a boat that passes everything in light wind while barely heeling in a gale (assuming centerboards are not fully down). In June, after about 18 months of research, we took delivery of a Gemini 105MC made here in Annapolis. We had a 7.5m Tanzer before buying KatMan2. The Gemini is quite a lot of boat for $200K. The bare minimum boat is under 150K, but if you add heat and air, beef up the electrical, add a screacher rig (a must have), add davits, solar panels, radar, etc. you are right at about 200K. Gemini’s will sleep 8 in a pinch, but it is really a boat for 2 with occasional guests. Full kitchen, toilet and shower. Queen bed for master cabin forward amidships – very comfy. Fit and interior finnish are not Finnish, but a new one is half the cost of an NC too.

You get more usable living space below and above decks on a cat than on a mono of similar length. With a 14 ft beam and 34 ft LOA, we have no problems berthing in a standard 40ft slip (which you need with a dinghy on the davits). Drawing 18 inches, we can anchor in the shallows, beach even, and gunkhole far up river. The drive leg lifts out of the water, for less drag and no stray electrical current eating at your metal bits in port. We have only been to 8kts so far. That was in 16-19 kts of wind. Last weekend we did 6.8 in only 11-13kts of wind.

Since you are interested in a motorsailing, one can mind the helm of a Gemini underway from inside using a Raymarine remote for the autopilot. I have been out with 10 adults on the boat and nobody felt crowded. You might check them out at Performance Cruising's website. There are over 1,000 Gems afloat (ours is #992). We have a Yahoo group too called Gemini_Cats.

Good luck with your search for the perfect yacht.

Tomindc2
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

Tom-

Actually, there aren't over a 1000 Gemini's made yet... hull 1000 is about to be built according to PCI... Apparently, they're planning something for hull 1000.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-03-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If your primary goal is a boat with lots of room, you don't need to buy a motorsailer per se. There are numerous boats with pilothouses and many center cockpit boats that will offer that.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...08&searchtype=
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...84&searchtype=
Old 09-03-2007

DonLund is on a distinguished road
SP Cruiser - Island Packet

I saw where Island Packet have the SP Cruiser motorsailor. It was reviewed recently in Crusing World or Blue Water Cruising. I believe the review was favorable. Cant remember the cost.
Old 09-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If I were in your locale, I'd want a pilothouse as well, with a nice bulkhead diesel heater in it! I would agree that the West Coast sailing experience is greatly enhanced by the option of getting off the deck when the cold green stuff is coming aboard. I would also want a pilothouse (with a good set of windshield wipers) to increase visibility forward for deadheads, rocks and over-ambitious kayakers. Not to mention it's a lot easier to keep your radar dry...because my impression has always been that radar isn't a frill there, but a necessity.

The weather in that area can turn rotten quickly, so I think you're on the right track. I agree with the idea that you don't need a motorsailer as such, but given that you might need to get off rocky lee shores and/or motor up windless inlets and/or fight tidal currents, I would suggest that a somewhat bigger motor than I'd recommend for the Great Lakes would be a good idea.

Ted Brewer's designs come to mind. Some of his boats have been done nicely in all materials. See if you can find some ideas here and then you can maybe go look for real life examples.
www.tedbrewer.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.