Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007

liquidharmony is on a distinguished road
help live a dream

Hi. Im 21 years old and looking to purchase a live aboard in the 35 foot range. i live in florida and would like something that could cross the gulf of mexico. I have very little experience but plan to spend the next couple years just paying off and getting the feel for whichever boat I choose. As of now, I dont plan on crossing any oceans, but it is a possibility. I will probably travel with a crew of 2 or 3 but th ability to go solo is a must. Im still in the research phase and would just like to know what I should be looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What is your budget??? What kind of sailing experience do you have? Why are you looking at 35' boats??

BTW, crossing the Gulf of Mexico can be a pretty tough thing—just because it is only a gulf, you don't want to underestimate how dangerous it can be.

As for boats... it really depends on what your budget it... in any case, I'd recommend reserving about 15-20% of whatever your total purchase budget is for repairs, upgrades and refitting whatever boat you get. Boats, unlike cars, don't come ready to go in many cases... they often need changes made to them for them to work for the way you'll be using the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-02-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Just returned for a cruise on which my cousins invited themselves because of the "romance" they envision when thinking about sailing to different islands. After the first two days of rough seas, getting seasick and dense fog with no wind, reality set in for them. You might want to get some experience before seriously shopping. All I could think of is they don't have to pay the expenses of a boat...
Old 09-03-2007

liquidharmony is on a distinguished road
Budget could be as high as 70,000 but ide like to stay under.

lots of boating experience but just a little more than none when it comes to sailing.

I was thinking around 35 mainly for living comfort. Its not something I was completely set on.

the boat is mainly going to be used on surf trips to the Caribbean, but I would like the capability to cross the gulf if I ever get the urge to go. I just really have to be on the water.
Old 09-03-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
cant go too wrong with something like this
or this
I really like the Cal.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 09-03-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Two good boats BJ. Although I would not touch a boat that had an engine looking like that. And with my old creaky back, I can't handle the tight berths. But as a 21 year old, they would do fine. If you are using it as a surf cruiser, you might want the centerboard option to get in close to shore at some of the smaller breaks. Otherwise if you don't mind a little paddle from the outside, it doesn't really matter. Do it sooner rather than later! Or you will end up like me trying to figure out a way to do it with a kid and a job.

Vaya con Dios
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, the Pearson does appear to have a Lavac head. That's one less problem to deal with... the engine does appear to be pretty bad though. What possessed them to post a photo of the engine looking like that????

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.