Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007

heroness is on a distinguished road
Scott-

How do you like your Catalina 30'? What year? How was your buying experience?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Not being from that neck of the woods, you'd have to do some research on safe locations, but you can always anchor the boat until your slip is available.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 09-05-2007

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30

Heroness,

About slip information… you can try looking in the free literature section of any West Marine. There is a free magazine on all marinas on the west coast.

I’m very much enjoying Namaste, she is a 1986 Catalina 30, Tall Rig. The purchase experience was somewhat disappointing as the broker was an idiot. I insisted on a Rig and Marine Survey with haul out. The broker wanted me to use a 3 month survey but neglected to tell me that it did not include a haul out. We had other problems too numerous to mention. A boat buyer’s saying should be, ‘don’t trust and verify’. I should have paid for a mechanical survey as the heat exchanger caused me problems on the trip to my new slip (11 hours). I ended up replacing the HE with a new one. So far, the HE has been the only surprise. Namaste needed new sails, which have been purchased, new running rigging (installed), and a new bobstay (also done). Also, much work on neglected maintenance items. I’m currently replacing the topside running hardware. It has been a lot of work and I’ve enjoyed every minute. For more information you can try the Catalina 30 Owners web site and a good parts web site. Try: www catalina com and www catalinadirect com

Good luck and good boat hunting

Scott
Catalina 30 - Namaste
Old 09-05-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same situation since I'm just beginning to shop for a 30' (Probably a Catalina) at the moment. I live in Long Beach and would prefer a LB slip, but they've told me the wait is currently about 2 years. I put myself on the list anyway (only costs $50) and started to call around to private marinas (LB is all city owned or operated). The marinas in San Pedro seem to have slips available pretty regularly with the longest wait around 2 months.

One question that I have is if there is any seasonal variation in slip availability.
Old 09-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It cost you money to get on a slip waiting list... hmmm... nice racket if you can get away with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-07-2007

heroness is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Scott, for some info on your buying experience. I'll keep that in mind as we shop. We met a broker at Dana Point Yachts who was very nice and seemed trustworthy and straightforward. Fingers crossed!

And thanks all for the ideas. I never thought of anchoring and yes, to charge for a wait list--what a racket. I'll repost once I am in the process of buying, securing the slip, etc.
Old 09-07-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
There's really not much in the way of safe, free, anchorage in So. Cal., where it's safe to leave a boat unattended. Best place for temp. storage would be Newport Beach, $5 a night for a fore & aft mooring, 2 weeks in summer, thirty days in winter max. Check local boating paper The Log, they do special publication every year, called "where the slips are". Info and contacts for all harbors, see their website.
http://www.thelog.com/special/sectionview.asp?s=3729
Old 09-09-2007

cpa2 is on a distinguished road
I have always found that showing up and getting a transient slip (paying the extra $) is the best way to get through a waiting list. Make friends with the staff and in a couple months you'll be in.
Old 09-11-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It cost you money to get on a slip waiting list... hmmm... nice racket if you can get away with it...
Long Beach Marinas are all city owned and/or operated, so they have a monopoly. I think the $50 gets credited if you end up with a slip.

I can actually understand why they do it, otherwise everyone and their brother would get on the list "just in case" and there would be nothing to discourage them.
Old 09-16-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Waiting List Fee's

It cost me $100.00 to get on the liveaboard list for Marina in SD. They have a year plus wait now. I see it as 100 bucks well spent especially when we are ready to make the move, and we are guaranteed a slip for our new boat.