SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (
-   -   Playing the SoCal Wait List game (

heroness 09-04-2007 01:40 PM

Playing the SoCal Wait List game
We're 2+ years into researching our first boat, almost pulled the plug two weeks ago on a 30' Catalina, but can't seem to figure out this marina/slip thing.

Marina del Rey would be first choice, due to proximity, but with so many different marina companies within that complex, do we wait list with each, or wait to buy a boat with the option of a transferable slip? Or wait list with every marina up and down the coast? Or work with a broker who can ensure we land a slip with our boat--but then does that limit our selection of boats to one marina? Join a yacht club?

In other words, how to people new to sailing (or experienced) do this, that is, juggle their boat purchase or upgrade to coincide with slip availability? Argghhhh!!!

I figure I must be missing Advice? Anyone who loves a certain marina that we should look at, even though it wouldn't be as convenient...?

sailingdog 09-04-2007 01:53 PM

It really depends... marina slip waiting lists are a problem... since you can't tell when you'll actually get a slip through one. Buying a boat and having an option on the slip it is in is a pretty good way to do it, but that limits your choices of boats.

I've never heard of a broker who can ensure a boat slip with your boat purchase, but I'd imagine there are some of them out there as well.

poopdeckpappy 09-04-2007 02:14 PM

Put yourself on the wait list, most slips are not transferable, but, there are creative ways around this, such as, keeping the PO on title for one year as a partner, then he transfer 100% ownership to you and you keep the slip.

Also, do NOT put your faith in a broker to finding you a slip, they will set you up, but for a limited time, or BS you up to the point of you signing the docs and the drop the bomb on you, thinking your excitment over the boat will offset the reality of not have a permanent slip.

I had a broker drop this bomb on me at the last minute and I reminded him that a slip was the deal breaker and that I was walking, within 20 mins he had a slip, but neglected to tell the marnia people that along with my liveabord stat, we have dogs ( this is against marina policy ) so now I'm on the wait list again for 4 different marinas, with zero recourse towards the broker.

sailingdog 09-04-2007 02:19 PM

If the broker promises you a slip...get it in writing...

Personally, I would be cautious about getting a boat unless I had a slip lined up or it was on a trailer and I had someplace I could store it and the trailer.

heroness 09-04-2007 05:15 PM

That's a good idea to get it in writing. Especially with the market being what it is, I suspect brokers may "say anything" to unload a boat.

Is there a reliable central network for marinas and slips online? Publication? I've searched and not found anything like this site for marinas, which surprises me. It must exist...

We wouldn't necessarily be averse to keeping the boat somewhere outside of LA--if we could legally spend time on it. That seems to be a whole challenge, however!

Thanks, and I hope other West Coasters will chime in....

thomfredrika 09-04-2007 05:22 PM

Just reponding to your looking for a yacht may I suggest to come to NZ and you don't have hassles of looking for slips etc plus they will do anything to help you find the yacht that fits you I know its out of your way but enjoy something different we w ould help you if needed we have a Ganley Solution 50' ketch
Have fun Thom

heroness 09-04-2007 06:22 PM

Wow, talk about a great idea! That's all it takes to get me dreaming...Moorings only in NZ, then?

poopdeckpappy 09-04-2007 07:37 PM

Heroness, I get the impression you are coming in from Wy and are choosing LA area because of LAX.

If that's the case, try these, they are all within minutes of the San Diego airport, and this is a good time to get on a list for this area, most people feel the seasons over or soon to be and they start hauling out for the off season

swadiver 09-04-2007 08:19 PM

New boats and slips
I just purchased a Catalina 30 in April of this year. I was on three waiting lists, Dana Point, Holiday Harbor San Pedro, and Shoreline Marina Long Beach. A forth marina in San Pedro had slips available for a premium price and this one would be my escape slip. The estimated wait time on the three waiting lists were from 1 year (Dana Point) to 4 months (Holiday Marina, San Pedro). Fortunately, I was lucky and my offer on a Catalina 30 Tall Rig was accepted the same week my name came up at my current location at Shoreline Marina, Long Beach. Shoreline will allow you to rent the slip for some months if you are working through the purchase process and are willing to pay the full price for the slip. I had to do this for about three weeks. They charge by the foot withing a slip range like 30' to 35'. You can also join a Yacht Club as they sometimes have slips with shorter waiting lists that are reserved for just their members. I considered doing this before my name came up. Good Luck

Catalina 30 - Namaste

heroness 09-05-2007 10:56 AM

Thanks a million for the advice on SD and getting on several waitlists. My spirits are buoyed!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome