Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007

heroness is on a distinguished road
Playing the SoCal Wait List game

We're 2+ years into researching our first boat, almost pulled the plug two weeks ago on a 30' Catalina, but can't seem to figure out this marina/slip thing.

Marina del Rey would be first choice, due to proximity, but with so many different marina companies within that complex, do we wait list with each, or wait to buy a boat with the option of a transferable slip? Or wait list with every marina up and down the coast? Or work with a broker who can ensure we land a slip with our boat--but then does that limit our selection of boats to one marina? Join a yacht club?

In other words, how to people new to sailing (or experienced) do this, that is, juggle their boat purchase or upgrade to coincide with slip availability? Argghhhh!!!

I figure I must be missing something...tips? Advice? Anyone who loves a certain marina that we should look at, even though it wouldn't be as convenient...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends... marina slip waiting lists are a problem... since you can't tell when you'll actually get a slip through one. Buying a boat and having an option on the slip it is in is a pretty good way to do it, but that limits your choices of boats.

I've never heard of a broker who can ensure a boat slip with your boat purchase, but I'd imagine there are some of them out there as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Put yourself on the wait list, most slips are not transferable, but, there are creative ways around this, such as, keeping the PO on title for one year as a partner, then he transfer 100% ownership to you and you keep the slip.

Also, do NOT put your faith in a broker to finding you a slip, they will set you up, but for a limited time, or BS you up to the point of you signing the docs and the drop the bomb on you, thinking your excitment over the boat will offset the reality of not have a permanent slip.

I had a broker drop this bomb on me at the last minute and I reminded him that a slip was the deal breaker and that I was walking, within 20 mins he had a slip, but neglected to tell the marnia people that along with my liveabord stat, we have dogs ( this is against marina policy ) so now I'm on the wait list again for 4 different marinas, with zero recourse towards the broker.

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 09-04-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: piss poor spelling
Old 09-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the broker promises you a slip...get it in writing...

Personally, I would be cautious about getting a boat unless I had a slip lined up or it was on a trailer and I had someplace I could store it and the trailer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2007

That's a good idea to get it in writing. Especially with the market being what it is, I suspect brokers may "say anything" to unload a boat.

Is there a reliable central network for marinas and slips online? Publication? I've searched and not found anything like this site for marinas, which surprises me. It must exist...

We wouldn't necessarily be averse to keeping the boat somewhere outside of LA--if we could legally spend time on it. That seems to be a whole challenge, however!

Thanks, and I hope other West Coasters will chime in....
Old 09-04-2007

thomfredrika is on a distinguished road
answer?

HI
Just reponding to your looking for a yacht may I suggest to come to NZ and you don't have hassles of looking for slips etc plus they will do anything to help you find the yacht that fits you I know its out of your way but enjoy something different we w ould help you if needed we have a Ganley Solution 50' ketch
Have fun Thom
Old 09-04-2007

Wow, talk about a great idea! That's all it takes to get me dreaming...Moorings only in NZ, then?
Old 09-04-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Heroness, I get the impression you are coming in from Wy and are choosing LA area because of LAX.

If that's the case, try these, they are all within minutes of the San Diego airport, and this is a good time to get on a list for this area, most people feel the seasons over or soon to be and they start hauling out for the off season

http://www.sailorschoice.com/sd/sdmarinas.htm
Old 09-04-2007

swadiver is on a distinguished road
New boats and slips

I just purchased a Catalina 30 in April of this year. I was on three waiting lists, Dana Point, Holiday Harbor San Pedro, and Shoreline Marina Long Beach. A forth marina in San Pedro had slips available for a premium price and this one would be my escape slip. The estimated wait time on the three waiting lists were from 1 year (Dana Point) to 4 months (Holiday Marina, San Pedro). Fortunately, I was lucky and my offer on a Catalina 30 Tall Rig was accepted the same week my name came up at my current location at Shoreline Marina, Long Beach. Shoreline will allow you to rent the slip for some months if you are working through the purchase process and are willing to pay the full price for the slip. I had to do this for about three weeks. They charge by the foot withing a slip range like 30' to 35'. You can also join a Yacht Club as they sometimes have slips with shorter waiting lists that are reserved for just their members. I considered doing this before my name came up. Good Luck

Scott
Catalina 30 - Namaste
Old 09-05-2007

Thanks a million for the advice on SD and getting on several waitlists. My spirits are buoyed!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.