Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
Not all are sloops as some of 44's are cutter rigged as probably sailusvi and camaraderie are aware.

Caribbean Yacht Charters (CYC) sold 44's and early model 46's on a purchase and charter basis. This charter history rightly should concern people like tdw. The model itself lead to mixed results. While purchasers saved on a new Hylas, years later she had high engine hours from the hard life of a Caribbean bareboat. These days Hylas does not associate with chartering.

The passageway galley does not give you the security of a U-shaped one as Jeff_h suggests. On the other hand, the passageway galley opens up the interior for a double walkthrough configuration. All 44's have port and starboard walkthrough to the aft stateroom.

As InlandGirl, USCGRET1990, and BlueWaterMD note, Hylas was a Greek mythological figure. He accompanied Hercules on the cruise of the Argonauts. That is interesting to hear about the nymphs. I guess it associates Hylas with water...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I looked at one one on my boat hunt. I liked the general layout and the fit out was excellent although the SWMBO felt that it was a bit dark and claustrophobic esp in the aft cabin.

It needed more hatches IMHO and if you are Caribbean cruising on the hook 110 galls of water is not enough unless you go down the watermaker route.

The one I looked at had a turbo Yanmar which is not my favourite engine but I gather many/most had normally aspirated units.
Old 03-30-2010
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I liked the general layout and the fit out was excellent although the SWMBO felt that it was a bit dark and claustrophobic esp in the aft cabin.
That darkness is one of the features that Hylas tried to improve with the 46 Hylas. This mostly is in respect to the saloon area where they put in larger doghouse windows. The trend has been towards these pilot house type designs. You often hear people disparage "the cave like feeling" of traditional yachts. The 44 has quite a few portholes but does not compare to the larger portholes on some newer designs like the 46. The trade-off is sometimes a less appealing looking profile though German Frers pulls it off well I think.