Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Are you looking at the 03 MCS has in Kenmore? They have a tendincy to ask a high price, not sure how well they are about negotiating tho. That one has lazy jacks, which make reefing/furling the main pretty easy. A 6' draft will not bother you around here. I was less than a 1/4 mile off the shore of Edmonds where I sail out of, and was in 350' of water!

Pics make that boat look pretty nice overall, but as you say, it may be on the higher end of things. See if you can negotiate a $$ amount that makes that rig a bit more doable, and possibly get the moorage with it. The north end of LW is nice for learning to sail, the waves do not get that big up there with higher winds out of the south, unlike off of Kirkland where I grew up, they can hit 3' at time.

IIRC, there were 3 or 4 SO35's at the jeannuea owners roundesvous at Poets cove last summer too. There is quite a few of them around the sound. The roundezvous is the oldest running Jeanneau one in US, the third weekend in June for 7 or 8 yrs running. I went to my first one this yr.

Marty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
blt2ski..I would love to hear more. Do I understand that the Jeanneau owners have a retreat at Poets cove? Dan and Tara (the marine mgr) are good friends of our and if this deal works out we would love to coordinate with others.
Old 09-06-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Dan was at the roundesvous. I seem to recall them having a son about 8'ish, that was catching shrimp off the fuel dock with a couple of other boys the same age.

Looking at my list, their was 3 SO35's there, including one shoal draft that slipped by a new 36i during the race.....oooops.......parade of boats.

Personally, I would see if the Kenmore boat is negotiable to a price that is reasonable to you. The sunfast version with a 7'draft when racing against SF37's, which there is one at MSC, will beat it handicap day in and out, and many time beat it boat for boat. Where this issue comes about is the all of less than 2" WL difference, vs the 2' of boat length. I personally prefer the SF version, due ot the cockpit mounted traveler, slightly taller rig with more sail area. Altho you do lose the table in the cockpit. If I were to trade in my 85 30' Jeanneau, it would be on an SF35 or the new SF3200.

Some other things to think about, the shoal draft is typically 10-15 secs a mile slower than a std draft. The furling main will also lose 10 or so secs. Not sure if either boat has a folding prop, but that is also an ~10 sec difference with the folder being faster. The OE on my boat put on a max prop in 02, and said he gained .5-1+ knots on most points of sail. So if sailing from point A to B is a thing you want to do, the local boat would be better. Especially when you consider the wind is typically 5-10 knots in the summer months. If sailing non stop to Poets cove, that is pretty close to 1 hr difference, about 9-10 vs 10-11 hrs one way if the east coast boat had all the slow boat items, vs teh local having all the faster option items.

If you go to the MSC website, they have pics from last summers roundesvous, along with previous yrs. My wife and I want to go up there again next yr, as we finished in front of a 37 and DS42, should have finished last! With new sails we hope to order next spring winter, we should be a bit more competitive, or will hop onto another Arcadia with that owner if he is there, and show the big boats what a little boat that has been rated #1 out of vancouver, and i thetop 5 the last 5 or 7 yrs can sail like. His is decked out for racing. My rig was cruised the 20 yrs the OE owned it. I've been doing some racing with reasonable success so far. You might also go to www.jeanneau-owners.com for info on Jeanneaus too.

Marty