Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007

sdodd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
I'm 6'6", and sleeping catty-corner in the (unshared) v-berth of my Bristol 29.9 works fer me. Probably not a good sea-berth, but so far I've stuck to daysailing so that hasn't been a problem. I think the port settee berth, which pulls out to double size, would also suit me, but I haven't tried it yet. On hot sticky Chesapeake nights I prefer sleeping in the cockpit.
I should admit that I live on a ten acre estate overlooking the Pacific but an considering the sailboat as a sort of apartment in town with alternative sleeping. But I am not as tall as you so I would be quite happy with your boat.

sdodd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Pearson 30

Can be singlehanded. Well built boats. Head room shouldn't be problem either standing or lying down. You could also look at a 323 or a 10M Pearson. 3 feet or so longer than a 30, but more roomy.

A Catalina 27 would also be decent boat or an ODay 28, 29, 0r 30.

DrB
Old 09-11-2007

sdodd is on a distinguished road
Be sure I am looking into every suggestion.

sdodd
Old 09-11-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Best boat under 30 ft , for me thats easy The Islander Bahama. 24ft of fun and fast safe sailing . Cheap ,solid , bullet proof fiberglass ,stable full keel that just loved any condition . Light air great , strong wind great , I had more fun on that boat than any other I think Ive owned since or prior . There is no standing headroom but there is a nice long setee I used to sleep on . Even had a head under the V birth . I think the fun factor was caused by the price tag , it was $3k if I recall correctly. So things that broke as they do or ending up grounded was no big deal just wait for a the tide or a stink-potters wake to get back to sailing again . Ah the carefree days of that boat , not worrying about things that could go wrong ,as I have done with other boats with considerably more cash invested in them . Then doubley so when we we're livaboards. The Islander Bahama I bet you can still get one for 3k today beat the tar out of it , have a blast on it ,put it away wet and still sell it for 3k I loved that boat . But thats me and my two cents . I hope you find the right one for your needs .
Old 09-11-2007

sstrong200 is on a distinguished road
I've been learning and single handing a 1979 Watkins 27 all summer. This is a great boat, solid for learning how to crash, er, dock in all kinds of conditions and plenty of room.. headroom is listed as 6' 2" in the specs.
So far she has always gotten me home safe, regardless of what 'pops up' out there.
Old 09-11-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our favourite 28' boat, of those we looked into and those we saw (very few we actually saw, tho) was the Sabre 28. I'm 6'4". I couldn't stand up, but I didn't feel overly cramped, either. I could stretch out on both the port settee and in the v-berth.

Jim
Old 09-11-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road

How about a Stone Horse? Not the fastest boat in the harbor, but always the most striking. No headroom at all (4 ft), but the v-berth is huge and the cockpit is about 8 ft. Probably completely impractical for you, but this is a sentimental favorite of mine.

Last edited by TSteele65; 09-11-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2007

sailr4 is on a distinguished road
Columbia 8.7 has 6'2" head room....

I have sailed this boat for 6 years and have loved it very much. Lots of room. Easily handled and comfortable. It will be going on the market soon as I am looking to move up to a larger, possibly liveaboard, boat. You can see her at www.geocities.com/sailr4

Rob
Solomons, MD
Old 09-19-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
The Bristol may be hard to find in your area, but I highly recommend it. I have an older B29 version and it is a pleasure in every respect. Its for sale, but I doubt it would be worth the shipping costs to CA!
Old 09-19-2007

rsn48 is on a distinguished road
In Coos Bay, you will be sailing in an area with two different requirements. In the Bay, you would be well off with a lighter displacement hull, sensitive to lighter winds; the Canadian made Tanzer 26 or larger would be a good example of this.

Out in the briny blue in your area can be more of a challenge and if it were me, I'd be looking more for a boat that was "sea kindly" and heavier. Not only is weight a factor but hull design, keel and rudder configuration and working sails that accompany the boat would be an issue for me out on the Oregon coastal waters.

I own a Catalina 27 and out in the salt chuck with choppy wave action, she will pound more than some boats. I don't think I'd opt for a Catalina 27 in your area. At this point you're expecting a recommendation from me, but I will defer to others more knowledgeable to sea kindly boats that can reasonable sail into the wind and aren't total pigs in light air.

What you need to decide is what boat will take priority, the Bay boat or the ocean boat. If it were me, I'd vote in favour of the ocean boat as then you can sail up into our BC waters and enjoy what the coastal interior has to offer; with the Bay boat I'd be more inclined to stick to home - and what fun is that?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.