SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best choices under 30

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  LittleMissMagic 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie. I have played around with a buddy on a SJ 26 this summer and really enjoyed it. I have even done OK in it alone.

I am on the southern Oregon coast.

Now I am trying to learn about the field of used boats under 30 feet as I search for a boat of my own. What should I be looking for and what are the best designs. I like the way the SJ reacts. But I also understand there may be more modern designs. I am 6'2" and that is an obvious point of demarcation for headroom and bunks. But it is not a deal killer for me.

Please humor me with suggestions and your preferences.

sdodd

#2 ·
Not too many boats under 30' are going to have 6' 2" of head room. Some will have berths long enough for you to fit in comfortably, and that is probably more important than full standing headroom IMHO. What is your budget?? That has a lot to do with what boats you can look at... ;) and will you'll be sailing in the ocean or on in-land waters???

#3 ·
I do know that a SJ28 is reported to have 6'2" headroom. But that is not my only consideration.

My budget has more to do with value than absolute amounts. When I buy things I like to think I can get my money out on resale. I am seeing SJ28s in 48North at about 12K. I bet I could get them for quite a bit less cash.

I am in Coos Bay Oregon. This is a big bay with both north/south and east/west ranges where you can play around real well. But of course the NW Pacific is right across the bar. It can be mild out there sometimes but of course it can be very rough. I've been out there a lot in small boats and once under sail.

Thanks,

Steve

#4 ·
Just remember asking price and selling price are usually quite different.

#5 ·
Yes, I have been told that. Once the new wears off any boat is a big problem to maintain and sailboats can be limited for a family fun vessel.

Still wondering what the most experienced owners can teach me about which boats are best.

sdodd

#6 ·
I have an Irwin and I love it. Great used boat.

#10 ·
Bristol 29.9 maybe

I'm 6'6", and sleeping catty-corner in the (unshared) v-berth of my Bristol 29.9 works fer me. Probably not a good sea-berth, but so far I've stuck to daysailing so that hasn't been a problem. I think the port settee berth, which pulls out to double size, would also suit me, but I haven't tried it yet. On hot sticky Chesapeake nights I prefer sleeping in the cockpit.

#11 ·
I'm 6'6", and sleeping catty-corner in the (unshared) v-berth of my Bristol 29.9 works fer me. Probably not a good sea-berth, but so far I've stuck to daysailing so that hasn't been a problem. I think the port settee berth, which pulls out to double size, would also suit me, but I haven't tried it yet. On hot sticky Chesapeake nights I prefer sleeping in the cockpit.
I should admit that I live on a ten acre estate overlooking the Pacific but an considering the sailboat as a sort of apartment in town with alternative sleeping. But I am not as tall as you so I would be quite happy with your boat.

sdodd

#12 ·
Pearson 30

Can be singlehanded. Well built boats. Head room shouldn't be problem either standing or lying down. You could also look at a 323 or a 10M Pearson. 3 feet or so longer than a 30, but more roomy.

A Catalina 27 would also be decent boat or an ODay 28, 29, 0r 30.

DrB

#14 ·
Best boat under 30 ft , for me thats easy The Islander Bahama. 24ft of fun and fast safe sailing . Cheap ,solid , bullet proof fiberglass ,stable full keel that just loved any condition . Light air great , strong wind great , I had more fun on that boat than any other I think Ive owned since or prior . There is no standing headroom but there is a nice long setee I used to sleep on . Even had a head under the V birth . I think the fun factor was caused by the price tag , it was $3k if I recall correctly. So things that broke as they do or ending up grounded was no big deal just wait for a the tide or a stink-potters wake to get back to sailing again . Ah the carefree days of that boat , not worrying about things that could go wrong ,as I have done with other boats with considerably more cash invested in them . Then doubley so when we we're livaboards. The Islander Bahama I bet you can still get one for 3k today beat the tar out of it , have a blast on it ,put it away wet and still sell it for 3k I loved that boat . But thats me and my two cents . I hope you find the right one for your needs .

#15 ·
I've been learning and single handing a 1979 Watkins 27 all summer. This is a great boat, solid for learning how to crash, er, dock in all kinds of conditions and plenty of room.. headroom is listed as 6' 2" in the specs.
So far she has always gotten me home safe, regardless of what 'pops up' out there.

#17 · (Edited)

How about a Stone Horse? Not the fastest boat in the harbor, but always the most striking. No headroom at all (4 ft), but the v-berth is huge and the cockpit is about 8 ft. Probably completely impractical for you, but this is a sentimental favorite of mine.

#20 ·
In Coos Bay, you will be sailing in an area with two different requirements. In the Bay, you would be well off with a lighter displacement hull, sensitive to lighter winds; the Canadian made Tanzer 26 or larger would be a good example of this.

Out in the briny blue in your area can be more of a challenge and if it were me, I'd be looking more for a boat that was "sea kindly" and heavier. Not only is weight a factor but hull design, keel and rudder configuration and working sails that accompany the boat would be an issue for me out on the Oregon coastal waters.

I own a Catalina 27 and out in the salt chuck with choppy wave action, she will pound more than some boats. I don't think I'd opt for a Catalina 27 in your area. At this point you're expecting a recommendation from me, but I will defer to others more knowledgeable to sea kindly boats that can reasonable sail into the wind and aren't total pigs in light air.

What you need to decide is what boat will take priority, the Bay boat or the ocean boat. If it were me, I'd vote in favour of the ocean boat as then you can sail up into our BC waters and enjoy what the coastal interior has to offer; with the Bay boat I'd be more inclined to stick to home - and what fun is that?

#23 ·
You need to sail on some more boats and get a feel for them. As an owner of an SJ 26 I can tell you that it isn't the most comfortable boat to sail on. Very tender,fast but light. I would suggest you try to go sailing on some heavier small boats to experience the differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.