Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007

paulsilva is on a distinguished road
Live aboard

I have been looking for a 42-46' live aboard. there are 2 I liked a Morgan 462 and a Stamas 44. Wondering if anyone knows these boats in particular the Stamas. Both are Ketch Rigs.
Any help would be great. Thanks, Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Silva..are you Portuguese?
Old 09-12-2007

paulsilva is on a distinguished road
Yes I am, however can't spesk it well. I have visited both Azores and Lisboa
Old 09-12-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
If all you want to do is live aboard, there's more room in a motor boat and even more in a house boat. But I guess you want to sail from somewhere to somewhere else. Those places, and the bits in between, will affect your choice.
Old 09-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Cool....I knew it...Silva is a name only found in Portuguese language (or its ex-colonies or Portuguese speaking countries, like Brasil, Angola, Moçambique, Timor, Guiné, São Tomé..etc...).

By the way, Silva, (means Bush in English), is a nature name, and like all nature names, it dates back to the enquisition, when the Jewish people living in Portugal had to be converted to catolicism, to avoid murder.

Generaly speaking, all nature related names were adopted by old Jewish families once converted to catoloc religion. The church back then said, well you are now a "new christian", and so that we know you are a converted jew, you need a nature name...imagine doing that ******** today...

anyway, other names...Pereira (pear tree), Branco (white), Oliveira (olive tree), Colombo (pigeon), Ferreira (smith), Gaivota (sea gull), Marinho (maritime) etc. etc.

Welcome to Sailnet...fellow countryman (or almost)

by the way, so you know...if they say I do photoshop, don't believe, and tottally ignore:

Sailingdog, Camaraderie, Cruisingdad, Sailortjk1, Sailaway21 (aka the commie), tenuki, bestfriend, sailingfool, tommyt, gysgt, valiente, T34C, Tartan34c, ianhlnd, and the rest of the losers....

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-12-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Whew, the tanker did not put the Marine on the list
Old 09-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
Whew, the tanker did not put the Marine on the list
are you sure?
Old 09-12-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You are totally correct about the conversos (I only know the Spanish term, sorry!)...the arrogance of the Church was unbelievable.

I think Silva means "woods", Alex, as in "a collection of trees" or "forest". The Latin version gives us the female name "Sylvia" and the English word "sylvan", meaning "wooded".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Silva

It's like the difference between "floresta", "madeiras" and "arbusto" in Portuguese: forest, woods, bush.

In Canadian and Australian English, however, an uncleared forest, or a forest that is regrowing after being cut down is commonly called "the bush", as in "Tim is out in the bush trying to bag a deer". (You would hear that a lot in Saskatchewan...they have a great deal of "bush" there.

My kid plays with another boy called "Silva" and it's a ridiculously common name, like "Smith" in English. I think those ex-Jews had many children in order to be super Catholics.

I wouldn't want you to end up calling the American President "Silva" by mistake....
Old 09-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Valiente, in YnGlitch I think we still say "silvan glade" which is a bit odd, since something silvan is "wooded" and a glade is generally an opening in the woods. (shrug).

"the arrogance of the Church was unbelievable." Oh, I don't know. The Church was 1400 years old and still a bit, ah, incredibly intolerant of variation. Islam is now, what, 1300 years old and behaving the exact same way?

Children of the Book.
Old 09-12-2007

captainlouie is on a distinguished road
bardus would be a better choice to call the president.