Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Express 37 Mk2

There is only one Express 35 that I know of which was Goman Express''s (the Canadian Express) attempt at a competitor to the J-35. Both boats weight 10,500 lbs which was quite light in its day. The original literature listed a mk 1 Express 37 as 8500 lbs. The keel was increased when the Tall rig bringing the weight of a Mk 1 up to 9500 lbs. The ''C''s'' and Mk 2''s were generally listed at 10,500 but supposedly actually weighed in at less. The wheel steering added over 200 lbs with the cockpit changes required so most of the Mk2''s that went to the Chesapeake did not have wheels nor the cockpit lockers.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2000

express is on a distinguished road
Express 37 Mk2

The express 37 mk2 did have 18" taller rig and 9" on the the boom to off set the added weight. The boat was still tender in over 8kt of wind 15 degrees of heel. I added to the keel 360lb and 9 in of draft a big change. I''m still fighting the weight I have removed about 300 more lbs to date. I would like some ideas of what to do next.
Old 12-05-2000

Express 37 Mk2

The express 37 mk2 did have 18" taller rig and 9" on the the boom to off set the added weight. The boat was still tender in over 8kt of wind 15 degrees of heel. I added to the keel 360lb and 9 in of draft a big change. I''m still fighting the weight I have removed about 300 more lbs to date. I would like some ideas of what to do next.
Old 12-08-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Express 37 Mk2

You should not be heeling that much in 8 knots of wind. These are not especially tender boats. If you are getting that much heel you have to be doing something really wrong. My first guess is not enough backstay tension. You may need more checkstay tension as well. Unless you use a lot of backstay tension you get quite a bit of headstay sag which powers up the jib. If you put too much backstay without any checkstay, you get too much mast bend and so ease the forestay and halyards powering up. Masthead rigs are tricky to power up and down. Mast bend is good for depowering the main but tough on depowering the jib.

The other thing is that these are reasonably easily driven hulls. For racing they take a lot of weight on the rail. But for cruising you don''t need to carry big genoas and you don''t have the weight on board to carry big genoas.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 12-09-2000

Express 37 Mk2

I agree with what are you are telling me. I also found new sails helped a lot they are flater and lighter.I have also taken as much weight out of rig as I can. Going to smaller sails early has also helped keep the boat stay flat.I do not want to sail with a big crew 8 max so the keel was a good choice for me.We have an active fleet of S.C 70s here and have learned some things from them about sailing light boats.Each season I learn a little more about the boat and how to sail it better. I''m surprised there is not more interest in the Express
Old 12-09-2000

Express 37 Mk2

Express:
Where do you sail?
Jeff
Old 12-10-2000

Express 37 Mk2

I sail on lake Michigan out Of Muskegon Mi.We have an active racing fleet here.
Old 12-12-2000

Express 37 Mk2

I now know the location of the "Express 39" that was formerly offered for sale in New England. This weekend I went out frostbite racing and what should show up in the the PHRF A fleet but the so called "Express 39" in all of its tricked out Baby-blueness. Color aside this is one neat boat. The boat is so heavily modified its hard to recognise as an elongated Express 37. In addition to extending the transom the boat also has winch islands, an open transom, and no coamings. The funny part is now that I have seen the boat, I realized that the picture that I have on my computer desktop at the house is actually a picture of that boat.

Who''d a thunk it?
Old 12-12-2000

Express 37 Mk2

Jeff
Did you take a look it the web site for Burden in Detroit. That was a stock Express 37 befor he changed it. He added 18" to the transon with a scoop and then opened up the cockpit. He also put a new Keel from Mars with 8''4"of draft. He has order a Carbon Fiber mast for next Year. I Like the mast idea and may look into for my Express.
Bill S
Old 12-12-2000

Express 37 Mk2

I was not able to find Bayview Yacht Club in a search so I did not find Burden. You asked about the lack of interest in the Express 37. I actually think there is a lot of interest in them for a boat that had a three or four year production run and then went out of production over 10 years ago. There is a real niche interest in the boats because they are good PHRF boats and also have several strong one-design fleets.

I don''t think there is more interest because these are boats, like my Laser 28, that take a fair amount of skill to sail well and which are neither out and out race boats like a Mumm 36 say or out and out cruisers. I worked the Annapolis boat show one year on the Laser 28 and helped out in the Express 37 so that they could grab some lunch. I was stunned at the kind of questions that were asked and at the type of people who came aboard both boats. It was really the same crowd. Racers seemed to walk on by seeing both boats as "cruisers". Cruisers came aboard and just plain did not get all of the lines running back to the cockpit, the tiller steering, or the simple interiors. The first comment by cruisers getting on both boats was that they were "tippy" or tender. Actually, for their weight both boats are quite stabile and stand to very large sail plans but have comparatively little form stability and lacked the inertia of heavier cruising boats.

I actually was at the east coast introduction of the Express 37 and have always been very fond of the boats but have also come to realize that they are not a boat for everybody. I personally don''t see the sense in making the kind of changes that you are proposing. It would be hard to recover the rating penalty and frankly for the money you can buy a used IMS racer and come out ahead.

I would think that you could buy an early 1990''s Farr 39 or Tripp 38 or 40/41 and have a much easier boat to race competitively and for less money that a cost of carbon rig and new keel turbo''d Express 37 Mk2. Besides you''d actually hurt the value of the boat since its value has been held up by its one design status in a number of areas of the country.

Jeff