Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Express 37 Mk2

Oh Yeah- I live and sail out of Annapolis, Maryland but have sailed on much of the U.S Atlantic Coast.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2000

express is on a distinguished road
Express 37 Mk2

Jeff
I went out to Annapolis to look it an Express 37 for sale (beep beep)In the fall of 97 what a great place to live.Try www.byc.com for Bayveiw Y.C. and look for boat links.I think you are right about alot of people overlooked the Express for cruising and the racers did the same. Jim Tailor the designer told me when he was designing my keel shoe ,He wished he had designed the Express 37.
My wife and I chose the express because we wanted the fastest boat under 40ft" with a comforable interior and 2 people could sail with ease. This boat is so much fun to sail. That I only want to make it better.To replace it would cost 200k or more and so I don''t spending money for upgrades.
Old 12-14-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Express 37 Mk2

I visited the Burden site. Very interesting indeed. I can''t imagine that the extended transom and open transom is worth the money or rating hit but I think the rest is an interesting upgrade to a very nice boat. One thing that I think I would do if I were having a carbon mast made is to leave the jib and spinacker hoists as the are but go to a fractional rig to allow more precise de-powering than the masthead rig permits. That way you would pick up more sail area without changing all of your foresail inventory and if you go to a carbon spar you''ll have to build a new mainsail anyway. You may actually pick up the sail area for free since some PHRF regions look at Fractional rigs as being inherently less efficient and so allow more sail area in a frac than a masthead rig. Of course, IMS has reversed that in recent years recognising that the frac''s ability to quickly depower allows it to carry a bit more drive most of the time.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2000

Express 37 Mk2

That is what Burt is doing to burden is making it a factional rig. By adding the keel he staffened up the and now needs more sail. His rating is 63 PHRF and it sails to the rating. For my boat a carbon mast is not in the near future. I want to try some other things frist like a carbon spinnaker pole and a redesign of the cabin top. My main competion is J35s and C&C 41s we all rate 69 here. I also want to try some different sail.

Happy Holidays
Bill S
Old 02-22-2001

Express 37 Mk2

An Update
I was over in Detroit picking up my New carbon Spinnaker pole. When I happened to get talking about Burdens new Carbon Fiber Mast It is 36" taller then stock and will now be a factional rig . He will be using much of the orginal Rod rigging and there th will be 3 spreaders and jumipers.With the opion of a full host or factional host spinnakers. Total cost about 20k plus sails.An interesting project I throught you would like to keep up with.
Bill S
Old 02-27-2001

Attaque is on a distinguished road
Express 37 Mk2

Does anyone have any experience with the Alsberg 34 Express? I intend to buy one.
Thank you

For the records: There is a Express 35 built by Gonan CAN and it''s raring depends on the keel and mast. With the deep keel and tall mast it rates PHRF 99. But it is a heavier boat and therefore needs more sail area than a comparable Alsberg.

The reason why the Alsberg are light and strong is because they are balsa cored (hull and deck) with modified epoxy resins and vacuum bagged.
Old 03-02-2001

Express 37 Mk2

I have not seen an express 34. But i would like to. Where do you live ?
Bill S
Old 03-03-2001

Express 37 Mk2

There was an Express 34 in Annapolis about 10 years ago and I think the boat did quite well. Its funny I had jsut about forgotten about these boats until you mentioned them. I don''t even have literature on them.

The Alsberg Brother expresses were beautifully built. The workmanship was amazing. I think that was as much a part of the weight savings as anything else. They claimed that the 37''s left the factory with less than a 50 lb variation in weight. That is really remarkable as most production boats,including one design boats like the J''s can have very big variations in weight.

The Goman Expresses were wildly different boats and were intended to be lower cost J35 competitors. Obviously they were not as fast and never really achived the popularity around here that the J-35''s achieved.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2001

Attaque is on a distinguished road
Express 37 Mk2

The Express 34 is currently in Jacksonville FL If I buy here, here homeport will be Hilton Head S.C. Her rating is PHRF 96.
Old 03-16-2001

boseyachts is on a distinguished road
Express 37 Mk2

I have only seen one Express 34 in Southern California over the last 15 years. Always a favorite of mine I believe she now berthed in Northern California. In fact I was just telling someone what a great find one of these would be. Great all around boat!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.