Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Newfangled inventions that have yet to stand the test of time
I thought that was what a race was... you know, a test of time..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2007

ceol is on a distinguished road
The best indicator of light wind performance would be the weight of the boat. The lighter the boat the better. Most of those boats are displacement boats so it is all a matter of getting the boat to hull speed anyway. the lighter the boat the easier it is to get to hull speed.

have you ever raced against a J-22. Those little buggers are unbeatable in light airs.

G~
Old 09-15-2007

IrishMistRacing is on a distinguished road
We race and cruise our 81 C&C 34 on The Sound and strongly recommend C&C. The boats were built in Canada so they easily take anything The Sound can throw at them. They are fast and yet PHRF friendly, meaning you can beat the rating with skill. We bought it from a couple at City Island YC that used it to summer at Block Island so it cruises well. Our family of four find it very comfortable.

Also take a look at this SailingWorld article "16 PHRF Racers to Fit a Budget" on their web site. I thought their suggestions were right on.
Old 09-15-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Regarding the Schock/NY36, I completely agree that this boat is worth looking at for its performance. ...
However, and this is a big caveat if you will be shorthanded, in my opinion it is a boat that is better suited to larger crews. It likes meat on the rail, and that HUGE mainsail can be a real bear. I would advise test-sailing this boat prior to purchase to see if you find it manageable....
John is absolutely correct - the NY36 has a huge main and is a powerful boat that will certainly prefer more crew... but with a good mainsheet system and good decision making re: reefing a main can be relatively easy to control by a smaller crew. (compared to the huge genoas and kites of large "J" dimension masthead rigs)

A fractional rig keeps the headsail handling to a managable level, and I'd be sorely tempted (given the large, powerful main) to run a NY 36 with just a main and blade/#3 in all but the lightest conditions. We had a small one design boat in the same sort of vein for years and class rules only allowed a single non overlapping headsail in the inventory - Kept things real simple and you learned to shift gears with what you had up.

Good luck, SNAP, in your quest.
Old 09-15-2007

SNAPORAZ is on a distinguished road
If one likes to sail with a crew of 2 or 3 people at the most, does it make sense to have a powerful boat that will need to be reefed very early?
How unconfortable and uneasy would it be to sail a j34 or NY36 or Frers F-3 in medium winds?
I like the cabin or the NY36. Is there any boat who sails well and fast, doesn't need a crew and has somewht rich accomodation?
Old 09-15-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
IMO if you have a boat that likes to "go" then you'll sail more often and in lighter air.

If you are in a generally high wind area (I'm a west coaster but don't believe LI sound is considered such a place, is it?) then a less powerful boat may make more sense.

Otherwise, proper sail management will make the whole experience more rewarding for you. A J34 (not such a "rich" interior) or the F3 should be managable in moderate breezes with a crew of 3. We have a fractional 34 footer that we routinely sail with two, without any sort of furler.
Old 09-15-2007

Of the 3 boats listed above, my gut feeling is that you would like the Frers the best. it has the greatest ballast per weight of the three. the interior is more useable in a cruising sense then the others. at least looking at, having never been on any of them.

your criteria is very close to what i was looking for, your price point is a bit higher.if not i would have prolly grabbed the Frers my wife really wanted 2 separate sleeping compartments, so the Frers would have been a tougher sell for me.

minimal wood on the topside is always a plus for me. Teak is the greatest looking stuff on somebody else' boat.

having raced cats, i am sure you are used to being over powered regularly. reefing down a main is a lot easier on these big boats then on a cat. if you are in any doubt throw up a blade up front and you will be fine.

having raced on fast boats also, i knew i would not be satisfied with a heavier displacement cruiser or full blue water boat. i would guess you would feel the same way.

whichever way you lean, try and get a sail on either of these boats. you will quickly get a feel on whether or not it is to your liking.

G~
Old 09-15-2007

SNAPORAZ is on a distinguished road
Thank you faster and ceol,

I agree that I will not be happy with a boat that has really poor performance. However boats like J34, NY36 and frers seem more like alarge dinghy. You go out, enjoy sailing and racing, go back, wash everything and go back home. They wouldn't really be appealling for me to spend weekends on the boat in the marina and maybe have guests...
We are talking about a 34-40 feet boat....

Would a sabre 34, Vauquiez Chance 37, Palmer Johnson NY40, CAL 40 or Vauquiez Pretorian 35 be so much slower? Unbearably slower?
Old 09-15-2007

I picked my Elite 29 because it was a fairly light boat for a 30' at 6700lbs, yet the interior was nice enough that my wife liked it. the longer the boat the faster it is going to be anyway. racing boats just accelerate faster and might be able to plane going downwind. the more amenities you add the less likely it will accelerate quickly and plane with spinnaker. the top speed for all of these boats are going to be very close, with the edge towards the longer boats. On the flip side to this the faster boats will have a flat bottom, which can make long passages a banging affair. there are tradeoffs. within a sound a flat bottom boat may be fine, but when you head out into open water a fuller keel becomes a nice thing to have.

i would start actively sitting on some boats to get a feel for what you think is comfortable. i like simple interiors. you may like loads of joinery. Sounds like you are leaning more towards the cruising/entertaining side. if doing long trips the cabin size is more important. Shorter/daysailing trips the cockpit size is more important. It sounds like it is time to go visiting some boats.

the NY40 looks very nice. At least to my internal criteria.

G~
Old 09-16-2007
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPORAZ View Post
Would a sabre 34, Vauquiez Chance 37, Palmer Johnson NY40, CAL 40 or Vauquiez Pretorian 35 be so much slower? Unbearably slower?
No, none of those listed is likely to be unbearably slow, especially cruising. Beer can racing would probably be OK too.

Cruisability is definitely up a notch, though I don't think you'd find the other 2 (NY36 or F3) interiors uncomfortable either. Ceol is right when he says the F3 would likely stand up on its own with fewer crew.

If you can, nows the time to get a first hand look at these boats and get a better feel for what you like and don't about each of them.... and be open minded - you may run into something that is not on your list that proves to be a good fit.