Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Regarding the NY36 -- which is the only boat you are considering that I have first hand experience on -- I would further characterize it as more of a racer/cruiser than a cruiser/racer, which is to say the design (especially the rig) emphasizes the "race" more than the "cruise". The interior, while interesting, is probably better suited as a crash pad for "away" races.

I previously mentioned the large mainsail, but neglected to add that the rig is further complicated by running backstays (or checkstays, if you prefer). There is a very lightweight backstay that goes to the masthead, but it is primarily used for inducing mast bend/rake. The real "backstay" is the working runner, which must be switched from side to side each time you tack (much like going between your working/lazy jib sheets). No problem for a boat with crew, but shorthanded it can be a royal nuisance.

One of my brothers owned one and we campaigned it for a number of years -- typically with a crew of 6-8. If we only had 5, that was pushing it for racing. I also delivered the boat with only 1 crew on many occasions, but it was not very relaxing. The boat get's overpowered quickly and even with the main reefed you still have to deal with the running backstays.

Again, NY36 is a good boat for PHRF racing, but not so great in my experience for shorthanded cruising/daysailing. Also I have seen NY 40s and I can't imagine they would be any more manageable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2007

SNAPORAZ is on a distinguished road
Thank you. This is tryly helpful.

Do you know anything of a boat Omega 30s?
And what can you tell me about self-tacking jib on a fractional rig (with a track in front of the mast). Good for single-handling...how about performance and safety in harsh conditions?
Old 09-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
You should really take a good look at a CS 36T ( the T stands for Traditional). These are well-built, comfortable boats that perform nicely without sacrificing much.
Old 09-17-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
How about Santanna 35?

One races here and does well. I dropped in one day and found the interior quite nice as well for a RACER/cruiser.

Is this much different than Schock 36? I have not been aboard one of those ...

Mike
Full Tilt 2
Old 09-17-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Mike

The Santana 35 might be a good choice for SNAP although the interior is not a really good cruising one - no Vberth, for instance. The Schock 35 is a tweaked, longer LWL, masthead version of the Santana - it rates considerably faster.

The Schock 36 referred to is quite different - a more powerful boat. It was marketed as the NY36 and is a Bill Cook design.
Old 09-17-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would suggest two other choices for Long Island Sound and your other venues, the Express 37 and the Farr 38.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2007

SNAPORAZ is on a distinguished road
Well..after seeing a bunch of the boats we were talking about, I stepped foot on a J105 and I was blown away. So beautiful, simple, effective, clean. I am going to sail it in the next days.
I know that is a 35feet with an Igloo cooler, with no interior...

What do you think Faster, jeff, ceol, sailorman? Have you sailed it and raced against it?
Old 09-17-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Neat boats, like you say - but no standing headroom for most, very minimal cruising amenities. Definitely an easier boat to sail shorthanded, but probably a bit pricey. If you can handle all that, go go.

They have good one design action in certain areas, but they seem to do pretty well in PHRF as well.
Old 09-17-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Have never sailed on a 105. I see their sterns on a regular basis, and try to pretend I am not bothered as they pass me by

I have a very favorable opinion of J-boats though... But, I have been seduced by the wonders of propane, refrigeration and showers

Let me think of something negative to say here.... hmm ... if it has laminate sails you're going to have to replace them soon (probably)... that's about it.

Last edited by Sailormann; 09-17-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2007

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
I have sailed and raced a J-105 a fair bit. As sailors they're great. You can feel the acceleration when a puff hits. The asymetric spinnaker adds a whole new dimension to sailing downwind. I have also sailed it single handed several times. Except for the scramble coming back to the dock she was no problem at all to solo. With a proper crew she's quite fast. The only folks that beat us were the J-35ers and other more skilled 105's. We left every other boat in the dust. She is also strong and solid in heavy weather. We brought one back from the Maryland Governor's cup in a fragment of Tropical Storm Erin in 25 knots of air (believe it or not) flying the a-kite. I had white knuckles for a week but she held up great.

That said, my wife refuses to cook a meal aboard her, sitting down. On a cruise we sail from marina restaurant to restuarant. I'm 5'9 and there's not enough head room. I've slept aboard multiple times but basically you live in the cockpit. Rainy days at the dock, one better have a good book to read while laying in a bunk. She sails around an anchor quite dramatically so mooring her may be problematic.

Someone mentioned earlier a J-35, or consider a J-37. They're faster than the 105, cheaper, and better cruisers but more complicated to sail. Add lazy jacks, a furler and an autohlem they should be doable solo.

Last edited by LyleRussell; 09-18-2007 at 08:14 AM.