Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Plenty of boats in the 28-35 foot range have the headroom you need. But be realistic, this is a boat, not a house, so don't expect cathedral ceilings.

It's great that you have friends who want to sail with you. But I doubt they will be offering to help foot the bill for the slip fee, bottom job, new sails, etc etc. On a 38 footer we are not talking about small change for any of these. You can do everything you plan to with a 30 footer and save yourself a lot of money.

The 30 footer won't make such a good frat house crash pad, though. If that's important to you, you might need the larger boat. Just be prepared and budget for the larger expense too.

Draft is something you will have to investigate by studying the charts in your intended sailing grounds. Call the marina where you plan to keep the boat and ask if they can accommodate that size and draft boat. Make sure you can transit the channel from the marina out to deeper water at any tide.

EDIT: Don't take any of this advice as discouragement. On the contrary, I think this is a great idea you and your father have. I wish I had done the same as a fresh college grad instead of dumping so much money into rent.

We just want to make sure you don't take on too much boat your first time.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-20-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Ditto John,

Don't be discouraged, but keep realistic. The 32 ft boat will meet the bill if you find the right one and accept a few compromises. And keep the wine-to-sailing ratio low, especially with the newbies! Have fun, I hope my kids do the same thing when the time comes.

Best,
Freeman
Old 09-20-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Check this boat out. The Ericson 30 or 32 are both really good boats, fast in light air, and this one has the A/c etc in TX. The price is well within your range so you could refit as necessary. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1664455
Old 09-20-2007

gnsail is on a distinguished road
The Ericson looks like a nice boat. I have broadened my search and will walk through a few 32' to see if I think I can live on one. I put together a spreadsheet with my income and all of my expenses for my dad to aprove. He is cosigning the for the boat loan and didn't like me joking around about making sure he liked the boat I picked out because he may be paying the boat note. So now I report to him like the people who work for him. Lesson learned I suppose. Would I be able to rent a large trailer and move a 32' boat myself? Dodge diesel.
Old 09-20-2007
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
Check the towing ability on your truck for weight. Then check with the State's motor carrier transportation (State Department of Transportation). You may find you need a permit to move a boat of this size.

Side note: I agree...don't take anything as discouragement!