Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2002

wcstorm is on a distinguished road
1983 S-2 10.3

Looking at a 1983 S-2, 10.3. Would appreciate any comments or concerns.
Cole
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
1983 S-2 10.3

The S-2''s I''ve seem generally seem to be well put together: sensibly engineered and solid without going crazy about it. The gelcoats seem to stand up well compared to many other boats of the same vintage. Layouts and finishes below are sensible, matter of fact, and practical, rather than flashy. The 10.3 is supposed to be relatively fast, too. My understanding is that the original owner/creator of Slickcraft powerboats (which apparently have a very good reputation) sold the firm. Part of the deal was a five year non-compete clause that kept him from building powerboats, so he started a second firm -- thus S-2 --to build sailboats instead.
Old 03-28-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
1983 S-2 10.3

I am not sure that I would agree that the S-2''s are sensibly engineered and solid. They generally were a cut above many of the larger value oriented production builders but they are notorious for a variety of poorly engineered detailing, such a the use of wood for keel framing members such as maststeps and engine beds which are both located in rot inducing areas of the bilge. The mast steps are especially vulnerable because of the water carried down in the mast. There is an issue with keel bolt accessibility on the 9.1 but which I would also suggest that you investigate on the larger 10.3. S-2''s are especially notorious for deck core rot especially in the area near the mast partners. Other problems that I have come across on S-2''s is somewhat shoddy electrical systems as well.

The 10.3 was and IOR racing rule derived design. I have raced against one for several seasons and they are reasonably fast upwind in a moderate breeze but seem to loose out at the extremes.

It is funny with the S-2''s. They seem to have a very divided reputation with some people seeing them as high quality boats and other seeing them a somewhat under par. My own experience put them somewhere in between and would suggest that you go in with a very thorough survey especially of structural elements.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2010

dakotaquinn is on a distinguished road
S2 10.3 sails and spinnakers for sale

I have owned an S2 10.3 for over twelve years. Generally love the boat. Had a problem with area around the mast at cabin top. Cost 5,000 to fix, but the problem may have been caused by grounding at high speed. Love the boat and it is fast. Have extra spinnakers and some other sails like new I would sell very reasonable.
Old 10-03-2011

tigerpilot is on a distinguished road
Sails

Do you still have the sails for sale?
Old 10-06-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Cole,
I recently sold our Pearson 35 and purchased a S2 11.0A. I did look at a 10.3 that was not for sale but wanted a little larger sailboat. I did a lot of research on S2s as there are not much info online or anywhere else. I figured the next best thing was to contact several current owners; they all seem to love the boat and in fact, some have sold their previous S2 and purchased another S2 design. Some have taken them on minor offshore cruises and encounter heavy weather, and held up nicely.

I can't reference the problems as Jeff indicated above as he seems to have a good knowledge of so many different sailboats.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 10-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpilot View Post
Do you still have the sails for sale?

Tiger.... that user has not been active since he posted that some time ago... you might try sending him a PM once you get enough posts...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)