Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinah View Post
Greetings,

DH and I have decided to purchase a sailboat. I grew up sailing a Pearson 24 with my dad, and have been on land-locked for the past 2 decades The first round of considerations were between a 30-something-ft Pearson, Catalina, O-Day or Erikson. Not sure why exactly, like I said, we are just starting our discovery. I'd love input on these... but I've been distracted by a Craigslist listing for a 28 foot Bayliner Buccaneer (built in the 70's). I searched this forum and found some remarks that concerned me, and didn't know what to make of them. Is this a really bad boat? I found one an elderly couple is seeking to dump for 3000.00 My thinking goes like this: for 3 grand, we have a lot of room for error.... learning the feel of sailing again on a smaller boat might have some benefits... learning to maneuver in and out of a slip and crowded marina settings (we live near Detroit) might be easier in a smaller boat... once we know what we are doing, invest in a bigger boat.

I would love your input.
Here's a fresh look...
It's not so much who built it as it is who took care of it and how well.
If you come across something that you're really interested in, get a surveyor
to check it out. Do this with him and learn what to check for and what sort of repairs or replacements are expensive. Even if you don't buy that boat, the $300 or so is a cheap education of what to look for.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
A wing keel stuck in the Mississippi mud is a real problem. For cruising comfort, a full keel or what is loosely called a modified full keel can't be beat, but if racing is your thing, a fin has the edge. My mod full keel draws only 4'6 on a 37 ft boat, and still gives me a very stable platform. But this ain't no racing boat!
Old 09-21-2007

dinah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
One minor point, K1VSK actually the 1980's era Hunters were very well constructed compared to the early 1990's Hunters at least according to my local surveyor friends.

Jeff
Thanks for the good info.
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Dinah
More important than my preference for which type keel, it would be best for you to make your own judgement after learning the difference and estimating what yype of sailing you intend.
We'll be sailing in the Great Lakes, and I don't see us racing - - just cruising. I will compare the fin to the full keel that I am accustomed to - I've pretty much ruled out the wing. Someday we hope to do some ocean sailing, but not while we are novices and DH is trying to get the basics down as I seek to recall what I used to know...

thanks!
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Headroom is a big issue with me, since I am 6'6" and the admiral is 6'1/2". I have looked at Hunter 33.5's and have a friend who has a 1992 model. The 1991's are about 6"4 inside, 92's are higher (I can stand easily in my friend's boat) and the last ones made before the 33.6's were back to 6'4! I finally gave up on finding one of the taller ones and bought a 1980 37 Endeavour (Mostly because the A and I love the all mahogany interior!) I have sailed on several Hunters, 30 to 36 feet of 90's vintage, and IMHO they sail really well.
I appreciate the info ragtimedon!
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
Here's a fresh look...
It's not so much who built it as it is who took care of it and how well.
If you come across something that you're really interested in, get a surveyor
to check it out. Do this with him and learn what to check for and what sort of repairs or replacements are expensive. Even if you don't buy that boat, the $300 or so is a cheap education of what to look for.
Planned on a survey, but didn't know i could use it as training! Also was under the impression that they were more costly than 300 -- but that info is from a stink-boat friend regarding her 50footer. THANKS!!
Old 09-22-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We'll be sailing in the Great Lakes, and I don't see us racing - - just cruising. I will compare the fin to the full keel that I am accustomed to - I've pretty much ruled out the wing
I'll throw in my two cents here ... the only thing you really need to worry about as far as your keel goes, is whether it is in good shape and whether it is atttached to the boat properly. I think that it's probably going to be a while before you are seriously racing, at which time you'll be able to decide whether the prevailing winds in your area favour downwind or upwind performance, which is pretty well the only reason to choose between a fin and a wing.

Look for something in good shape, in your budget, that is comfortable and that you think is beautiful. Some boats are faster than others, some are more comfortable, some are prettier and some have more cachet associated with the name, but they all have their good and bad points.

Look at 25 or 30 boats at least. You need to do this in order to develop an understanding of the market in your area, as it relates to your needs and budget. You can't determine if you're buying the right boat, or if it's in good shape or priced fairly without a lot of others to compare it to.

When you find ones that you are interested in, take a lot of pictures, particularly of things that look like they might be problems or look a little out of place. The biggest benefit this forum can offer you is the experience of thousands of people who have seen just about everything somewhere along the way. Don't be shy about posting your pics here and asking people for their opinions. They enjoy answering questions, indeed, for some it's the whole point of their existence, so you're not bothering them - you are allowing them to feel fulfilled.

Once you have found something you really like, then get the surveyor in.

Also - be very, very wary of brokers. While there are some honest ones out there, the majority of used boat salespeople are about as ethical as their counterparts in the auto industry, and their word is not worth the breath it takes to speak it.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Sailormann; 09-22-2007 at 12:06 AM.