Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007

dale1122 is on a distinguished road
Catamaran initial offer

Im looking at production cats in the 38-43' range. Mostly they are asking
225- 325K for these boats in owners layouts (1999-2004 models). I know there can be some variance depending on conditions but generally do these boats sell for 95% or 85 or 75% of asking price? I think there is fairly strong demand for most models ie Lagoon 38 in the US. Im trying to get a grip on a % of asking price for an initial offer and a likely agreed to price so I can narrow down my choices a bit.

Thanks for any input.

Specifically im looking at Mantas, lagoon, fountaines, Voyager, Robertson-Caine, Admiral.

Most of these are broker listed boats, what % do brokers usually get so I can get a comparison from a boat FSBO.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brokers usually get about 10% of the purchase price. The final selling price will vary, depending on the make, model, year, conditions and configuration of the boat. You can't really make up a generic percentage based formula IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Brokers get 10%. FSBO boats in this price range are quite rare and usually restricted to boats just coming on the market and advertised on marina bulletin boards or brand owner bulletin boards. One thing you might do is visit the owners group bulletin boards or e-mail lists (see the resources link above) and post a note stating your interest to buy without a broker.
Old 09-24-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I don't believe you can generalize a projected final sale price based on a list/asking price. There's only one way to find out just how far down from an asking price an owner/broker is willing to go...make an offer! You'll quickly find out how serious the seller is and how willing they are to negotiate. Remember, you can always re-submit a higher offer but you generally can't lower your initial offer (except based on survey findings, etc.). If you find a boat that's in exceptional condition, meets all of your needs, calls to you and is in demand, you may consider giving your very best offer and then be prepared to walk.

Old 09-24-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A boat that I would add to your list is the SeaWind 1160. It is a fairly new 38' model from Australia. My wife and I saw this last year at the Newport and St Pete boatshows where it won several awards for the design.

I know that if she weren't employed, and were willing to live on a boat, this is the boat that she would agree to sell the house for.