Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Good multihull brands in our price range?

OK... we're avid monohull sailors and have always shied away from multihulls. I haven't liked their looks and I'm a traditionalist. However, the more and more that my wife and I talk about our planned 2009 cruise with our family, the more we realize that a multihull might be a better choice. You can't beat the interior (or exterior) comfort, and our daughter is not in love with heeling so the sail-flat concept is kind of interesting.

We've been looking mostly at Passport's, Tayana's, Cabo's, Bristol's and other similar monohulls. We've capped our budget at $780k, including fit-out.

If I was to look at multihulls, what brands should I look at? We're going to take a look at a few in Annapolis, and will probably look at chartering one in the BVI's this winter for a week - just to see what they are like. Price range for a multihull would be the same as that of a mono - $780k, including fit-out. We need at least 3 cabins, plus diesel heat, air conditioning, generator, good instruments, etc., so all of those costs have to be factored in. Here is our monohull wishlist - I'm sure the multihull would be similar - Does this sound like a boat you know?

Thanks!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 09-24-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
The Fountaine Pajots and the Robertson and Caines look nice, but I can only comment on the looks.
Old 09-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
For that kind of money, hands down, it would have to be a Chris White Designs Atlantic Series catamaran, either an A48 or A55. The A42 might be an option but the aft deck on the A48/A55 adds a lot of desirable living space.

Start here:

http://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/

Another possibility is the Gunboat catamarans.
Old 09-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Just to add... this can be new OR used... I'm assuming that, like in a monohull, I'll get a better deal by buying used.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Okay, then consider this one as well:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=68132&url=
Old 09-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I'm trying to focus on manufacturers first. So Chris White Designs builds high quality cats?
Old 09-24-2007

Chris White is the designer. His designs have been built in a number of locations. Most of the recent Atlantic Series cats have been built at a plant in South Africa. I have seen a few of these only on the exterior in various anchorages -- but what I saw was impressive.

However, the most recent A57 (a slightly stretched version of the A55) was built at Aquidneck Custom Boats in Bristol, RI. I have only seen of this boat what is posted at Chris' website (http://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/atlantic57/index.php), so cannot comment except to say that the design, layout, and performance reports are impressive. I would expect the quality to be well above the typical production catamaran.

Note on the Atlantic-series catamarans, that the cockpit is forward of the main salon. I think this is a highly desirable feature if you plan to sail rather than motor cruise. I have been aboard most of the major production catamarans at the boat shows and find with rare exception that the steering and sail trimming arrangements verge on ridiculous.

If you need more info, you can call or e-mail Chris White directly. He is a great resource on mulithulls and is generous with his knowledge, which is a good thing because you have now exhausted mine.
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the Chris White designs... quite beautiful. You also might want to check out Multihull Demo Days. LINK

You can arrange to sail on a few different ones there.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Be safe and buy Canadian

http://www.pdqyachts.com/
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also... you will probably want to stay away from Charter Catamarans... If you're wondering why I say this... google Bumfuzzle.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.