T34s and T37s - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2007 Thread Starter

T34s and T37s

I have a quick question for the Tartan crowd: Apart from the 3' difference in length, what are the primary differences in design between the two boats? What sort of sailing is one more suitable for than the other? Thanks.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-25-2007 Thread Starter

Although the response to this query has been overwhelming, I decided to bump it up anyway.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-25-2007

Sorry, I donít know much about the 34. Have you tried the Tartan owners group at http://www.tartanowners.org/

Be happy to discuss some of the characteristics of the 37, but you asked about the layout. more at http://www.tartan37.com/

The Tartan 37 designed by Sparkman and Stevens. The hull has a modified fin keel with centerboard and skeg-hung rudder. V-berth forward, with shelves, bureau and hanging lockers. In the salon to port, there is an L-shaped dinette with bulkhead-mounted dining table. To starboard there is a straight settee with pilot berth outboard above. The large nav station with chart table is aft to port; the U-shaped galley is opposite.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2007
Sailing Junkie

Sailhog, These boats, both designed by S&S, share the same philosophy as a performance cruiser of the 70's. The 34 was designed earlier and went out of production just about the same time as the 37 came into production.
The 34 and 37 are both centerboarders with a modified fin and a skeg to protect the rudder. The 37 is much larger down below and has more tankage, but is also more expensive. Both boats will have good sailing characteristics and good manners in heavy weather for the balast/displacement ratios are quite respectable at 44% for the 34 and 48% for the 37.
I've had my T-37 for 12 years and can say that she hasn't let me down!!! PLus she has beautiful lines.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.