Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
asking price and selling price.

I know there's a difference between the 2 and sometimes it can be pretty substantial. In my case I'm looking at a merit 25 that was brought to my attention by Sailor Mitch (thanks!). The owner is looking for a quick sale b/c he is relocating, however the asking price is higher than I had expected. He's asking 8,000 w/o a trailer. It has been well maintained and has new North sails w/ a small outboard. Others (I spoke with, the marina owner) have told him that he's asking too much, so the owner knows it won't sell for 8k. My question, what is this boat worth? I can't do 8k even if I tried.

On the other hand, There is another merit 25 1200 miles away that has the same features and comes with a trailer, but only asking 5,500. This is appealing to me b/c the trailer offers me cheap winter storage (free).

I have a bad feeling that the Merit closest to me will not come down in the price enough for me to afford to by my own trailer and the boat.

But 1200 miles one way to pick up the other merit gets pricey when factoring in my time, gas, food, ect.

I am in no rush, however I do know the price of the boats won't get any cheaper in the spring. What would you do?
Old 09-25-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Guess the obvious first step is make him an offer based on what YOU think it's worth. If you know anyone who has access to actual selling prices on Yachtworld et.al., even better to determine a realisitc offer. Seems to me $2500 is worth the drive for the cheaper boat assuming they are of equal condition and the trailer is decent
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Used trailers are normally hard to find, so you probably have to factor in the cost of a new trailer in the price difference. I'd be inclined to offer 5K, knowing he will probably say no deal, but he may come back with a more acceptable price. Take a look at Yachtworld -- you may not ever know selling prices, but certainly get a handle on asking price of similar boats
Old 09-25-2007

ceol is on a distinguished road
this site is helpful when figuring out values of boats. this will at least give you ammo for suggesting the price you are wanting.

G~
Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with RagtimeDon... you'd be hard pressed to find a used trailer, and if the idea of having a trailer is important, then you really need to adjust your offer to accommodate the cost of a new trailer. $2500 pays for a lot of gas and a couple days to move the boat pretty easily... and the amount it would save over the long term is even more.

I'd fly there, and rent a U-haul with a trailer hitch of sufficent size to tow the thing. That's probably cheaper and easier than driving both ways—if you consider that you'll be paying for a night's stay and gas for 1200 miles for a vehicle heavy enough to pull the boat—which will be about $400 and probably spending two extra days doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2007
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies, turns out this guy was asking 8500 and had a lot of extras with the boat, but I just can't justify the added cost for convience of location.

Driving to pick up the 'other' boat, doing the math for gas comes out to $500 for gas round trip. Vehicle will be barrowed. Offering 4500 will cover the cost of transportation, so now I just need to convince the owner.
Old 09-25-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
hmmm ... I guess the biggest question here is what you plan to do with the boat? There are two on yachtworld 4500 and 9200. This suggests to me that perhaps the high end of price range is 9000 and the low end 4500?

Are you sailing out of a single location at a nearby yard or are you trailering to various locations for racing, etc....? If you are just launching and hauling at the same marnia where you intend to keep her than perhaps a trailer is not really as big a deal as you are making it. It seems a lot of people initially think trailer that do not need one.

Are you planning to race? If so - then how competitively?

A trailer costs approx 2500 as has been pointed out. All new sails can cost easily 3 - 4 times that amount. If you are planning to race a lot and the sails are indeed new and all of them are new then you may be saving a upcoming cost of 6-10K on sails.

My gut feel is that the local owner is not seriously trying to sell the boat. However a hard offer may force him to.

Also - 1200 km towing a boat is a long way if you are not used to that sort of thing. If the trailer is not in good shape you could run into some costs there as well.....

Have fun looking - looking is cheap and fun!

Mike

Full Tilt 2
Old 09-25-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Have spoken with the owner? Be very frank and just ask him what his bottom line is. Or perhaps tell him what the boat is worth to you (assuming a good survey) and see how he reacts. I've always found that being direct is the easiest way to negotiate.

Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, might be worth getting an AAA's RV Plus or a BoatUS's Trailering Club membership before doing this. If you have a problem, it will help. BTW Mike, it is 1200 MILES, not 1200 KM... which would be far more simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoyt View Post
hmmm ... I guess the biggest question here is what you plan to do with the boat? There are two on yachtworld 4500 and 9200. This suggests to me that perhaps the high end of price range is 9000 and the low end 4500?

Are you sailing out of a single location at a nearby yard or are you trailering to various locations for racing, etc....? If you are just launching and hauling at the same marnia where you intend to keep her than perhaps a trailer is not really as big a deal as you are making it. It seems a lot of people initially think trailer that do not need one.

Are you planning to race? If so - then how competitively?

A trailer costs approx 2500 as has been pointed out. All new sails can cost easily 3 - 4 times that amount. If you are planning to race a lot and the sails are indeed new and all of them are new then you may be saving a upcoming cost of 6-10K on sails.

My gut feel is that the local owner is not seriously trying to sell the boat. However a hard offer may force him to.

Also - 1200 km towing a boat is a long way if you are not used to that sort of thing. If the trailer is not in good shape you could run into some costs there as well.....

Have fun looking - looking is cheap and fun!

Mike

Full Tilt 2

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog

That's why it takes so much longer to get anywhere in the US vs Canada. No matter how many times I cross the border 90miles seems SOOOO far when my mind screams 90 kms ....

Maybe thats why nautical miles seem even longer at 5knots!

Mike