Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Valiente - I noted your desire to have a motorized wiper on the window in front of the helm, with hand cranked wipers on the other two. On my boat, though I only have two front PH windows, I have the same set up. Now, however, I wish I had hand cranks on EACH side, as my power wiper crapped out on me. I can step over to the "passenger" window and clear that easily with one crank, but can't do much with a dead power wiper...

FullandBy - Great boat, the Cooper 416. I know some very happy cruisers, including a couple I met in Tonga that sailed their 416 from Berkeley to the South Pacific. I'd love to have one myself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I read somewhere that the Pacific Seacraft Pilot 34 is a bigger seller in the Carib than up here in the PNW because folks want to get out of the sun and its associated health hazards. That surprised the Seacraft folks.

I love my pilothouse. I have owned and sailed many other boats (none a pilothouse) and I would never go back unless I bought it strictly for racing. I now prefer to be a boat slut and race on others boats and just cruise my warm cozy Truant. Funny that the first thing most cruisers put on their trunk cabin designs is canvas protection of some sort (dodgers & biminis).

Gaz
Old 01-15-2008

Strangeflow is on a distinguished road
Here is a picture of my Dads North Sea 33' hull number 1 of the 4.

And a picture of Moonfish's when it was still owned by the previous owner...
Old 01-15-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Very nice Strangeflow.

Where exactly was the top picture taken?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 01-15-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Strangeflow - I've spoken with your Dad a couple of times. We were going to try and meet up when they came through Friday Harbor, but we were out of town both times. I've lost his number since...

We plan on stripping the green paint and making the solid teak pilothouse bright again, just like WIND IN THE WILLOWS (that is the right name, isn't it?). Thanks for posting a pic of our North Sea, VENUS, which is hull number 4. We love her! Here's a line drawing that I revised from one your Dad sent me:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about a pilothouse sailboat-venusdrawing2.jpg  

s/v VENUS

Old 01-15-2008

Strangeflow is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I saw that picture earlier in the thread, thats what prompted me to put up the picture.

And retclt, I believe that is Patos island, the most northern of the san juans on our way up the inside passage.
Old 01-16-2008

Tumblehome32 is on a distinguished road
Strangeflow, that is the prettiest boat Ive seen all day. Very nice.
Old 01-23-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

And here is another very cool shot that Strangeflow's Dad sent me of their boat. Beautiful image. I've even had it as my desktop picture, as it makes me want to head out into the Strait and onto the Pacific Ocean. I know I'm partial, but the North Sea 33 is one damn good looking pilothouse sailboat!
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about a pilothouse sailboat-northsea33undersail.jpg  

s/v VENUS

Old 01-23-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

And my current desktop pic is the one with his Dad's boat at anchor off Patos Island. I'm looking forward to having our pilothouse varnished bright like that.

s/v VENUS

Old 03-05-2012

YSIFIS is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about a pilothouse sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
Since I have a pilot house (Coronet Elvstrom 38) I am biased. I sail in a T-shirt when others around me are braving the wind, rain and waves of the North Sea all wrapped up in their warmest all weather clothing and huddling under an inadequate dodger. And when it gets really hot, you need a bimini, which I have as standard by removing the pilot house sides and back.
But generally, such craft are not built to race. On a boat my size, it might carry 6 or 8 crew to race, but I only have room for four in the pilot house and the side decks are not designed to be sat on. Racing boats need lots of space to let a large crew move about fast. The pilot house does add windage, which equals drag, which equals not so fast up wind.
The "mass produced" boats are designed to meet both racing and charter cruising requirements. I guess they make up the majority of the buyers who buy brand new, as the racers want the latest and fastest and the charter companies like to offer new boats for hire. There were a lot more pilot house models built before 1975, but that market slump bust a lot of builders. Since then, the remaining companies have largely focused on their main chance. However, Nauticat survived, as did Fisher for a while. Others try now and again but generally have low sales numbers.
For those who want not to race, or just charter for a couple of weeks, and want to live-aboard and travel slow but far, the newest is not so important as the functionality. So they hunt for a suitable boat and/or spend a lot on converting it to purpose. Some even add pilot houses.
My 2 cents.
I am thinking to buy a coronet elvstrom 38 and i worry about the sailing ability of the boat. Can i sail this boat or i can ONLY motor it?. I am told that it can only sail with an aft wind of force 4-5 or more and never windward. Is that so?. I live in Greece and traveling on sails is very essential. What is the boat behavior on wind?. Anybody's experience is more that welcome.