Not another "What's the best blue water boat" thread - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
Why would anyone consider the opinion of a person who hasn't taken the time to look at the information?
He hasn't done that. That would be a waste of time (like your post was). He's used designs from "Carl Alberg, John Alden, Bill Crealock, Ted Brewer, Lyle Hess, Ted Hood, Al Mason, Chuck Paine, Robert Perry, and several Europeans" to try to get a meaningful model, not a useless one.
You're right - I should have lied
What I meant was that I did not have the time to verify all the data in there. I did not intend to bash the hard work that obviously has gone into it creating it, but I still think that my comments are valid - There's still a lot to learn!
Sorry for not being clear (English is NOT my native tongue).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
C'Hand...This has been used here before. As I recall Jeff_H took a look at it and trashed it pretty well as a meaningful tool. I couldn't figure it out so I can't comment beyond saying that it doesn't seem to me to be a very meaningful way of deciding on a boat....but I guess some people do rely on the numbers.
Old 09-29-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I haven't been able to open the spreadsheet yet (surf control at work caught it) but I'll check it out later at home. I've always like Carl's Calc. http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html , I think it may be a similar type of referense tool.
Old 09-29-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
The numbers in this spreadsheet just describe the container that is the boat. How capable the boat is must be determined by a lot of factors that donít lend themselves to this type of analyses. The presentation of the data is interesting and useful as a guide to what is considered normal for a given size boat but thats all it's good for. The devil is in the details and this will not predict your success with any given boat on any given trip.
All the best,
Robert Gainer